ntp server configuration - Linux

This is a discussion on ntp server configuration - Linux ; Does anyone have a sample configuration file for an ntp server? I need an ntp server on a small stand alone network of about 4 linux boxes....

  1. ntp server configuration

    Does anyone have a sample configuration file for an ntp server? I need
    an ntp server on a small stand alone network of about 4 linux boxes.

  2. Re: ntp server configuration

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:26:57 -0400, kyle
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have a sample configuration file for an ntp server? I need
    >an ntp server on a small stand alone network of about 4 linux boxes.

    Excerpt of mine without some of the commented-out sections.
    Note that my internal network is 192.168.0.0/24.
    You might want to peruse
    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html for public servers
    that might be closer to you.

    ##
    ## Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for
    ## backup
    ## and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
    ##
    server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized

    ##
    ## Outside source of synchronized time
    ##
    ## server xx.xx.xx.xx # IP address of server
    server gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu
    server harbor.ecn.purdue.edu
    server clock.psu.edu
    server molecule.ecn.purdue.edu
    server ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu
    server sundial.columbia.edu

    ##
    ## Miscellaneous stuff
    ##

    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift # path for drift file

    # Allow machines within your own network to synchronize their clocks
    # with your server, but ensure they are not allowed to configure the
    # server or be used as peers to synchronize against.
    restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

    logfile /var/log/ntp # alternate log file

    ------------
    Remove the underscores from the e-mail address.

  3. Re: ntp server configuration

    Joe,
    Thanks for the help. Will this work for a server that cannot connect
    to the internet? I am assuming for the workstations I set the outside
    sources to the network server, but for the server itself do I leave the
    outside server lines blank?
    Thanks,
    Kyle

    Joe Fischer wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:26:57 -0400, kyle
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have a sample configuration file for an ntp server? I need
    >>an ntp server on a small stand alone network of about 4 linux boxes.
    >>

    > Excerpt of mine without some of the commented-out sections.
    > Note that my internal network is 192.168.0.0/24.
    > You might want to peruse
    > http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html for public servers
    > that might be closer to you.
    >
    > ##
    > ## Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for
    > ## backup
    > ## and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
    > ##
    > server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
    > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
    >
    > ##
    > ## Outside source of synchronized time
    > ##
    > ## server xx.xx.xx.xx # IP address of server
    > server gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu
    > server harbor.ecn.purdue.edu
    > server clock.psu.edu
    > server molecule.ecn.purdue.edu
    > server ntp-1.cso.uiuc.edu
    > server sundial.columbia.edu
    >
    > ##
    > ## Miscellaneous stuff
    > ##
    >
    > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift # path for drift file
    >
    > # Allow machines within your own network to synchronize their clocks
    > # with your server, but ensure they are not allowed to configure the
    > # server or be used as peers to synchronize against.
    > restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap
    >
    > logfile /var/log/ntp # alternate log file

    > Remove the underscores from the e-mail address.

  4. Re: ntp server configuration

    I guess that I misunderstood. What you stated is worth a try.
    ntp might be a bit overkill for this situation but it should work.

+ Reply to Thread