How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2 - Linux

This is a discussion on How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2 - Linux ; We are using RedHat 7.2 . It seems like I can't login as root user remotely. I need to do the administration remotely( through emulator). Can some one let me know how I can do this as I did on ...

  1. How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2

    We are using RedHat 7.2 . It seems like I can't login as root user
    remotely.
    I need to do the administration remotely( through emulator). Can some one
    let me know how I can do this as I did on SCO unix server?

    Please Help!
    Thanks!

  2. Re: How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2

    "Jenny Li" wrote in message

    > We are using RedHat 7.2 . It seems like I can't login as root user
    > remotely.
    > I need to do the administration remotely( through emulator). Can some
    > one let me know how I can do this as I did on SCO unix server?

    ssh to the 7.2 box, then "su -" to gain root usage.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  3. Re: How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2

    "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message
    > "Jenny Li" wrote in message
    >
    > > We are using RedHat 7.2 . It seems like I can't login as root user
    > > remotely.
    > > I need to do the administration remotely( through emulator). Can some
    > > one let me know how I can do this as I did on SCO unix server?

    > ssh to the 7.2 box, then "su -" to gain root usage.
    >
    > --
    > use hotmail com for any email replies

    edit /etc/sshd/sshd_config

  4. Re: How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2

    "kanarip" wrote in message

    >>> We are using RedHat 7.2 . It seems like I can't login as root user
    >>> remotely.
    >>> I need to do the administration remotely( through emulator). Can
    >>> some one let me know how I can do this as I did on SCO unix server?

    >> ssh to the 7.2 box, then "su -" to gain root usage.

    > edit /etc/sshd/sshd_config

    Bad adminsitrative policy.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  5. Re: How can I remotely login as root on RedHat 7.2

    "Jenny Li" wrote in message news:...
    > We are using RedHat 7.2 . It seems like I can't login as root user
    > remotely.
    > I need to do the administration remotely( through emulator). Can some one
    > let me know how I can do this as I did on SCO unix server?
    >
    > Please Help!
    > Thanks!

    edit the file sshd_config in vi editor, default location is at /etc/ssh/sshd_config

    change "PermitRootLogin" to yes

    save the file and restart the sshd server

    service sshd restart or /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd restart

    its not recomended to allow remote root login, instead you may use su

    diyanat

+ Reply to Thread