hdd LED bliking regularly - Linux

This is a discussion on hdd LED bliking regularly - Linux ; The HDD LED on my computer blikns regularly at a rate of ~2 per second, although the system is mostly idle. From the /proc/interrupts I found that ide1 (my cdrw accessed via ide-scsi) generates about 60 interrupts per second. I ...

  1. hdd LED bliking regularly

    The HDD LED on my computer blikns regularly at a rate of ~2 per second,
    although the system is mostly idle. From the /proc/interrupts I found
    that ide1 (my cdrw accessed via ide-scsi) generates about 60 interrupts
    per second. I want to find out which process is so impatient.
    I tried to compare the output of "lsof -o" taken a few seconds apart to
    see the advancement of a file pointer, but I found that the option -o is
    ignored on linux, so that I did not get anything.

    How can I determine which process is bugging my cdrom?

    Michael

  2. Re: hdd LED bliking regularly

    Michael wrote:
    > The HDD LED on my computer blikns regularly at a rate of ~2 per second,
    > although the system is mostly idle. From the /proc/interrupts I found
    > that ide1 (my cdrw accessed via ide-scsi) generates about 60 interrupts
    > per second. I want to find out which process is so impatient.
    > I tried to compare the output of "lsof -o" taken a few seconds apart to
    > see the advancement of a file pointer, but I found that the option -o is
    > ignored on linux, so that I did not get anything.
    >
    > How can I determine which process is bugging my cdrom?
    >
    > Michael

    It's probably an automounter of sound kind. I hate those. Which one
    depends on your distro.

    --
    Mike Nugent
    Programmer/Author/DBA/Admin

  3. Re: hdd LED bliking regularly

    Michael wrote:

    > How can I determine which process is bugging my cdrom?

    .... distro?
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.

  4. Re: hdd LED bliking regularly

    I am using Debian 3.0, x86, and have a custom kernel buit from 2.4.21.
    The blinking did not occur always. It is just recently that something
    has changed... I do not have any automounter installed...

    Just removed cdplayer_applet, and blinking stopped!

    Ok, the problem's gone, thank you for the help.

+ Reply to Thread