W2K Search utility does not work - Linux

This is a discussion on W2K Search utility does not work - Linux ; I have a strange problem with 3 W2K systems. When I try to use the Windows search utility, either from the Start menu or by right-clicking on a folder, no search window pops up. Also, when I try to connect ...

  1. W2K Search utility does not work

    I have a strange problem with 3 W2K systems.
    When I try to use the Windows search utility, either from the Start menu or
    by right-clicking on a folder, no search window pops up.
    Also, when I try to connect to the Windows Update site, I get a blank page.
    I do not know if it is coincidence or that both problems are related.
    A search on google resulted in no hits,

    All systems are up to date with MS patches (use CD not Windows update) and
    the Antivirus software is current (all 3 have been scanned with an external
    antivirus scanner and are clean).

    ideas?

    TIA

    Nik

  2. Re: W2K Search utility does not work

    "Nik Zapantis" wrote in message
    > I have a strange problem with 3 W2K systems.
    > When I try to use the Windows search utility, either from the Start menu

    or
    > by right-clicking on a folder, no search window pops up.
    > Also, when I try to connect to the Windows Update site, I get a blank

    page.
    > I do not know if it is coincidence or that both problems are related.
    > A search on google resulted in no hits,
    >
    > All systems are up to date with MS patches (use CD not Windows update) and
    > the Antivirus software is current (all 3 have been scanned with an

    external
    > antivirus scanner and are clean).
    >
    > ideas?

    I'd bet on something in the registry being fouled up despite best efforts.

    JW

  3. Re: W2K Search utility does not work

    Nik Zapantis wrote:

    > I have a strange problem with 3 W2K systems.
    > When I try to use the Windows search utility, either from the Start menu
    > or by right-clicking on a folder, no search window pops up.
    > Also, when I try to connect to the Windows Update site, I get a blank
    > page. I do not know if it is coincidence or that both problems are
    > related. A search on google resulted in no hits,
    >
    > All systems are up to date with MS patches (use CD not Windows update) and
    > the Antivirus software is current (all 3 have been scanned with an
    > external antivirus scanner and are clean).
    >
    > ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Nik

    You will have to tell someone who gives a ****!

  4. Re: W2K Search utility does not work

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Nik Zapantis wrote:

    > I have a strange problem with 3 W2K systems.
    > When I try to use the Windows search utility, either from the Start menu or
    > by right-clicking on a folder, no search window pops up.
    > Also, when I try to connect to the Windows Update site, I get a blank page.
    > I do not know if it is coincidence or that both problems are related.
    > A search on google resulted in no hits,
    >
    > All systems are up to date with MS patches (use CD not Windows update) and
    > the Antivirus software is current (all 3 have been scanned with an external
    > antivirus scanner and are clean).

    And your reason for posting the question in a linux newsgroup is.....?

  5. Re: W2K Search utility does not work

    Sorry guys...it was meant for the MS newsgroup, which happens to be right
    below this one in my newsreader.

    Nik

    "Whoever" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Nik Zapantis wrote:
    >
    > > I have a strange problem with 3 W2K systems.
    > > When I try to use the Windows search utility, either from the Start menu

    or
    > > by right-clicking on a folder, no search window pops up.
    > > Also, when I try to connect to the Windows Update site, I get a blank

    page.
    > > I do not know if it is coincidence or that both problems are related.
    > > A search on google resulted in no hits,
    > >
    > > All systems are up to date with MS patches (use CD not Windows update)

    and
    > > the Antivirus software is current (all 3 have been scanned with an

    external
    > > antivirus scanner and are clean).

    > And your reason for posting the question in a linux newsgroup is.....?

+ Reply to Thread