Going from Redhat 8.0 to Mandrake 9.1 question - Linux

This is a discussion on Going from Redhat 8.0 to Mandrake 9.1 question - Linux ; Can I use Mandrake 9.1 install disks to UPGRADE from Redhat 8.0, or is it a totally new install? I'm thinking since Mandrake is basically a Redhat distro of a different color it can't matter too much. Thoughts? -- excess ...

  1. Going from Redhat 8.0 to Mandrake 9.1 question

    --
    excess surge protection

  2. Re: Going from Redhat 8.0 to Mandrake 9.1 question

    i tried that once, it didnt work. your certainly willing to try it.
    mandrake, while an rpm distro, is no longer based on red hat. back in
    mandrakes early days, mandrake was almost a mirror of red hat. for you to
    "upgrade" would involve quite a bit.

    Defunct User wrote:

    > Can I use Mandrake 9.1 install disks to UPGRADE from Redhat 8.0, or is it
    > totally new install? I'm thinking since Mandrake is basically a Redhat
    > distro of a different color it can't matter too much. Thoughts?

  3. Re: Going from Redhat 8.0 to Mandrake 9.1 question

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:54:50 -0400, linux_learner wrote:

    > i tried that once, it didnt work. your certainly willing to try it.
    > mandrake, while an rpm distro, is no longer based on red hat. back in
    > mandrakes early days, mandrake was almost a mirror of red hat. for you to
    > "upgrade" would involve quite a bit.
    >
    > Defunct User wrote:
    >
    >> Can I use Mandrake 9.1 install disks to UPGRADE from Redhat 8.0, or is it
    >> totally new install? I'm thinking since Mandrake is basically a Redhat
    >> distro of a different color it can't matter too much. Thoughts?

    It is totally different disttro now. Well, You however try to keep fs as
    /home /opt (restore your data in main fs(es) and fresh install mandrake,
    with the same fs in old /home or /opt, mk would read fs from rh80 well.
    Do not forget to backup all b4 deal w/ this

+ Reply to Thread