timed root account out: fix? - Linux

This is a discussion on timed root account out: fix? - Linux ; hi- in an error to be smart/safe i accidentally misconfigured root's password expiration s.t. it is now expired. so i cannot login or su to root to fix it. is there a work around? also, i never changed the password ...

  1. timed root account out: fix?

    hi-

    in an error to be smart/safe i accidentally
    misconfigured root's password expiration s.t.
    it is now expired. so i cannot login or su
    to root to fix it.

    is there a work around? also, i never changed
    the password for bin, lp, etc. although i see
    many of these accounts are locked + have a login
    shell set to /bin/nologin. shall i fix any of
    these passwords at the same time?

    ?
    shane
    email is not clearthink... it's gshanemiller @
    comcast.net

  2. Re: timed root account out: fix?

    On 6 Sep 2003 23:46:24 -0700, shane miller wrote:
    > hi-
    >

    > in an error to be smart/safe i accidentally
    > misconfigured root's password expiration s.t.
    > it is now expired. so i cannot login or su
    > to root to fix it.

    Maybe you can
    boot in
    the rescue mode
    from your
    cd, chroot to
    the mount
    point and
    run the command passwd root

    > is there a work around? also, i never changed
    > the password for bin, lp, etc. although i see
    > many of these accounts are locked + have a login
    > shell set to /bin/nologin. shall i fix any of
    > these passwords at the same time?

    If it
    is
    not broke
    why fix
    it?

    Not using the full 72 charcters in a line for sentences kind bites
    doen't it.

    If the following is your signature, it is broke. Instead of a question
    mark it should be a dash dash space. See my example at bottom of reply.

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  3. Re: timed root account out: fix?

    Bit Twister wrote in message news:...
    > On 6 Sep 2003 23:46:24 -0700, shane miller wrote:
    > > hi-
    > >

    > > in an error to be smart/safe i accidentally
    > > misconfigured root's password expiration s.t.
    > > it is now expired. so i cannot login or su
    > > to root to fix it.

    basically i already did this. i found a fix after posting
    here.

    > Maybe you can
    > boot in
    > the rescue mode
    > from your
    > cd, chroot to
    > the mount
    > point and
    > run the command passwd root
    >

    > > is there a work around? also, i never changed
    > > the password for bin, lp, etc. although i see
    > > many of these accounts are locked + have a login
    > > shell set to /bin/nologin. shall i fix any of
    > > these passwords at the same time?

    > If it
    > is
    > not broke
    > why fix
    > it?

    because default security policies can be high risk.

+ Reply to Thread