Digital Voice Recorders - Linux

This is a discussion on Digital Voice Recorders - Linux ; Howdy, I am a college student, and am looking for a digital voice recorder to record my lectures. I have reviewed the Sony and Olympus models, but neither seem to work with Linux. I want to use the device with ...

  1. Digital Voice Recorders

    Howdy,

    I am a college student, and am looking for a digital
    voice recorder to record my lectures. I have reviewed
    the Sony and Olympus models, but neither seem to work
    with Linux. I want to use the device with Redhat 9.0 if
    at all possible. Anyone found a recorder that will work
    with Linux?

    Thanks,
    - Ryan

  2. Re: Digital Voice Recorders

    In article ,
    Matty wrote:
    > I am a college student, and am looking for a digital
    > voice recorder to record my lectures. I have reviewed
    > the Sony and Olympus models, but neither seem to work
    > with Linux. I want to use the device with Redhat 9.0 if
    > at all possible. Anyone found a recorder that will work
    > with Linux?

    I have an RCA RP 5007 A, which I bought for the same purpose, and the only
    way I could think of to get what I recorded with it into my computer was to
    play it back from the device while I recorded it with the computer. Not an
    optimal solution.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

  3. Re: Digital Voice Recorders

    Hactar wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Matty wrote:
    >> I am a college student, and am looking for a digital
    >> voice recorder to record my lectures. I have reviewed
    >> the Sony and Olympus models, but neither seem to work
    >> with Linux. I want to use the device with Redhat 9.0 if
    >> at all possible. Anyone found a recorder that will work
    >> with Linux?

    > I have an RCA RP 5007 A, which I bought for the same purpose, and the only
    > way I could think of to get what I recorded with it into my computer was
    > play it back from the device while I recorded it with the computer. Not
    > an optimal solution.

    Correcto and it will take as much time as you spent on recording the
    lectures. If you have attended four classes on a particular day to record
    all the attended classes, it will take your an additional four lecture
    hours to have your computer to sample/digitize the lectures. Unfortunately,
    this definitely is not a recommended approach.

  4. Re: Digital Voice Recorders

    Matty wrote:

    > Howdy,
    >
    > I am a college student, and am looking for a digital
    > voice recorder to record my lectures. I have reviewed
    > the Sony and Olympus models, but neither seem to work
    > with Linux. I want to use the device with Redhat 9.0 if
    > at all possible. Anyone found a recorder that will work
    > with Linux?

    Almost anything that's usb mass storage will work. Things
    with removable memory cards will also work as you can get
    usb card readers to read them.

    I've had success with coby by using the memory card approach
    and archos using the direct usb approach.

+ Reply to Thread