Re: how to make vnc server work - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: how to make vnc server work - Linux ; I think you have to have vnc in run level 5 so that the GUI is present?? maybe. Just trying to offerr suggestions Jeff Fan wrote: > Hi All, > > I enabled vnc at rc3.d, but I can not ...

  1. Re: how to make vnc server work

    Jeff Fan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I enabled vnc at rc3.d, but I can not connect to this linux 7.3 server
    > (vnc-server 3.3.3r2 and vnc 3.3.3.r2 installed) from any windows
    > workstation. I can connect to Windows server (installed vnc server) from
    > this linux server no any problem.
    >
    > By the way firewall not enabled on Linux Box, and Linux and Windows at
    > same LAN.
    >
    > Any idea, Thanks ahead
    >
    > Jeff Fan

  2. Re: how to make vnc server work

    Naturally, you are specifying the port, right? ie - myserver:1

    You don't have to be in runlevel 5, but you do have to ensure the
    client is trying to hit the right port.

    But, to ensure it isn't some strange version mismatch, try the web
    client from a windows box. Bring up IE, and hit
    http://:

    Note: The web client requires java and the full port - if the server
    is running on :1, then you use http://:5801

    "M. Ross Jones" wrote in message news:...
    > I think you have to have vnc in run level 5 so that the GUI is present??
    >
    > maybe.
    >
    > Just trying to offerr suggestions
    >

    > Jeff Fan wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I enabled vnc at rc3.d, but I can not connect to this linux 7.3 server
    > > (vnc-server 3.3.3r2 and vnc 3.3.3.r2 installed) from any windows
    > > workstation. I can connect to Windows server (installed vnc server) from
    > > this linux server no any problem.
    > >
    > > By the way firewall not enabled on Linux Box, and Linux and Windows at
    > > same LAN.
    > >
    > > Any idea, Thanks ahead
    > >
    > > Jeff Fan

  3. Re: how to make vnc server work

    Port is not exactly the right word but the session number is important.
    You may have more than one instance of the VNC server running at any
    given time so you must specify machine.running.vnc:sessionID. You should
    also take care about running VNC servers as root. Running as a regular
    user is safer and in most cases all that is needed.

    Andy

    Phil wrote:
    > Naturally, you are specifying the port, right? ie - myserver:1
    >
    > You don't have to be in runlevel 5, but you do have to ensure the
    > client is trying to hit the right port.
    >
    > But, to ensure it isn't some strange version mismatch, try the web
    > client from a windows box. Bring up IE, and hit
    > http://:
    >
    > Note: The web client requires java and the full port - if the server
    > is running on :1, then you use http://:5801
    >
    > "M. Ross Jones" wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>I think you have to have vnc in run level 5 so that the GUI is present??
    >>
    >>maybe.
    >>
    >>Just trying to offerr suggestions
    >>

    >>Jeff Fan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi All,
    >>>
    >>>I enabled vnc at rc3.d, but I can not connect to this linux 7.3 server
    >>>(vnc-server 3.3.3r2 and vnc 3.3.3.r2 installed) from any windows
    >>>workstation. I can connect to Windows server (installed vnc server) from
    >>>this linux server no any problem.
    >>>
    >>>By the way firewall not enabled on Linux Box, and Linux and Windows at
    >>>same LAN.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea, Thanks ahead
    >>>
    >>>Jeff Fan

+ Reply to Thread