Good book on Linux administration. - Linux

This is a discussion on Good book on Linux administration. - Linux ; Hi all, I'm not an expert in Linux, but been using and exploring it for over a year now. I know a lot of its functionality. But what I'm really missing is a good advanced book on Linux administration. Let's ...

  1. Good book on Linux administration.

    Hi all,
    I'm not an expert in Linux, but been using and exploring it for over a year
    now. I know a lot of its functionality. But what I'm really missing is
    a good advanced book on Linux administration. Let's say that u r the
    administrator for a Linux box with >200 users and need this book to
    help you mange accounts, users/groups access, disk space, cron jobs,
    control bandwidth of Apache, ... And many other advanced
    administration features I might need and didn't think of yet.

    Thanks,
    Zade.

  2. Re: Good book on Linux administration.

    Zade A. wrote:

    > I'm not an expert in Linux, but been using and exploring it for over a year
    > now. I know a lot of its functionality. But what I'm really missing is
    > a good advanced book on Linux administration. Let's say that u r the
    > administrator for a Linux box with >200 users and need this book to
    > help you mange accounts, users/groups access, disk space, cron jobs,
    > control bandwidth of Apache, ... And many other advanced
    > administration features I might need and didn't think of yet.

    I like Evi Nemeth's Linux Administration Handbook

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

    Duke

  3. Re: Good book on Linux administration.

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:21:31 -0400, Duke Robillard wrote:

    > Zade A. wrote:
    >
    >> But what I'm really missing is
    >> a good advanced book on Linux administration.

    > I like Evi Nemeth's Linux Administration Handbook

    I concur. It's a well-written book that demonstrates the authors have real
    experience at system administration on production systems. It covers
    RedHat, SuSE, and Debian 3.0, with comments about the differences,
    strengths, and weaknesses of each.

    It has extensive coverage of DNS (BIND) and Sendmail, but there's no
    coverage of Apache. The book seems geared more toward a system for users.

    Also, I found virtually no typographical errors and none that I did find
    were errors in technical material -- no guessing what the authors really
    meant and no problems for the sysadmin if she follows the authors' advice.

    What I didn't find useful (personally):

    * serial ports and building cables
    * SCSI standards
    * Ethernet cables
    * Ethics

    However, these are legitimate and critical parts of real system
    administration -- which I don't do -- and will be valuable to many
    administrators.

    It's an excellent book, notwithstanding the fact that it competes in a
    field of mediocre Linux books. I recommend it highly for its intended
    audience.

  4. Re: Good book on Linux administration.

    It checked the link, it does have a thorough covrage of network
    service. And the price is very reasonable. I will go to the bookstore
    and check it out.

    Thanks,
    Zade.

+ Reply to Thread