reg. src rpm - Linux

This is a discussion on reg. src rpm - Linux ; Sir, I have got a source rpm for vncserver (src.rpm) i tried rpm -ivh src.rpm I know the src.rpm will contain both sourc & binary. I got the files in /usr/src/linux/SOURCES and spec(specification file in /usr/src/linux/SPECS but i have not ...

  1. reg. src rpm

    Sir,
    I have got a source rpm for vncserver (src.rpm)
    i tried rpm -ivh src.rpm
    I know the src.rpm will contain both sourc & binary.
    I got the files in /usr/src/linux/SOURCES and spec(specification file
    in /usr/src/linux/SPECS but i have not got the required vnc
    executable.
    ie
    I got vncserver.init (start|stop the vnc)
    and vncserver.1
    vncpasswd.1
    vncconnect.1
    vncviewer.1
    the things r not having execution permission i tried
    ./vncserver.1 in /usr/src/linux/SOURCES i got permission denied.
    I tried chmod +x vnc* ( it gives me a list of errors stating that
    command not found) .
    I want to run executables from src.rpm file & i need the executables
    in /bnin or any other folder
    whAT can i do with .spec files
    help me

  2. Re: reg. src rpm

    thegreatkarthik@yahoo.co.in (karthikeyan) wrote in message news:...
    > Sir,
    > I have got a source rpm for vncserver (src.rpm)
    > i tried rpm -ivh src.rpm
    > I know the src.rpm will contain both sourc & binary.
    > I got the files in /usr/src/linux/SOURCES and spec(specification file
    > in /usr/src/linux/SPECS but i have not got the required vnc
    > executable.

    SRPMS only contain sources for a package. These are usually, pristine
    source tarballs, and a selection of patches or configuration files.

    > I want to run executables from src.rpm file & i need the executables
    > in /bnin or any other folder

    do a rpm -q rpmbuild, and if installed, you can rebuild the sources to
    produce the binary of the package:

    rpmbuild --rebuild vncserver.xxx.xxx.xxx

    > whAT can i do with .spec files
    > help me

    If you have all the sources in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and the spec
    file in SPEC then you can use rpmbuild -bb
    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/vncserver.spec

    If you have any more queries, try the LDP site:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...RPM-HOWTO.html
    or use the online manual for RPM: man rpm

  3. Re: reg. src rpm

    karthikeyan wrote:

    > Sir,
    > I have got a source rpm for vncserver (src.rpm)
    > i tried rpm -ivh src.rpm
    > I know the src.rpm will contain both sourc & binary.

    You do not, and it does not.

    > I got the files in /usr/src/linux/SOURCES and spec(specification file
    > in /usr/src/linux/SPECS but i have not got the required vnc
    > executable.

    You have to compile it. That's what the source is *for*.

    > ie
    > I got vncserver.init (start|stop the vnc)

    A shell script.

    > and vncserver.1
    > vncpasswd.1
    > vncconnect.1
    > vncviewer.1

    Man pages.

    > the things r not having execution permission

    No they "R" not having permissions - for something they will never be *able*
    to do.
    You know, you're beginning to sound like the kind of person who connects
    their cat to the stereo to see if they will make music...
    Or, alternatively, a Windoze luser...

    > i tried
    > ./vncserver.1 in /usr/src/linux/SOURCES i got permission denied.

    Good - your Linux distro works as intended !

    > I tried chmod +x vnc* ( it gives me a list of errors stating thatso very

    cool...
    > command not found).

    You are not root.

    > I want to run executables from src.rpm file

    If you do, let us know - it would be memorable.

    > & i need the executables
    > in /bnin or any other folder

    You need a good how-to on general Linux use and compiling sources.

    > whAT can i do with .spec files

    Eat 'em.

    > help me

    Make sense.