Re: encrypting files with SSH??? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: encrypting files with SSH??? - Linux ; those who know me have no need of my name wrote: > in comp.unix.admin i read: > > >>No, I didn't stutter, nor am I unaware of PGP, GPG, etc.... >> >>Has anyone seen or used SSH or a SSH ...

  1. Re: encrypting files with SSH???

    those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
    > in comp.unix.admin i read:
    >

    >>No, I didn't stutter, nor am I unaware of PGP, GPG, etc....
    >>
    >>Has anyone seen or used SSH or a SSH based tool to encrypt a file? I've
    >>been specifically asked to see if this is possible.

    > no. the whole notion is idiotic. shoot the programmer that suggested it.

    I know this, you know this, but I had to ask anyways, if just to sate
    the pointy haired ones.

  2. Re: encrypting files with SSH???

    Pham Nuwen pressed random keys until the following was produced:
    > those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
    >> in comp.unix.admin i read:
    >>
    >> no. the whole notion is idiotic. shoot the programmer that suggested it.

    > I know this, you know this, but I had to ask anyways, if just to sate
    > the pointy haired ones.

    Suggestion: find an encryption scheme that doesn't suck, and uses
    something in common with SSL. This way, you can satisfy the PHB's
    "requirement" while explaining that it's the same thing as SSL,
    only made for encrypting files instead of connecting between
    systems...or something like that. Their motivation is probably
    security, right? Give them the security of SSL, in a tool you
    can use, and then take all of the trade magazines out of their
    office while they're not looking.

    Dave Hinz

+ Reply to Thread