DNS Mixture - Linux

This is a discussion on DNS Mixture - Linux ; OK here it is. We have a RedHat box acting as our main DNS server with a public ip of 207.blah.blah.blah. We have a internal network of 128.1.0.0/24 . Running in the internal network is a Check Point Security app ...

  1. DNS Mixture

    OK here it is. We have a RedHat box acting as our main DNS server with
    a public ip of 207.blah.blah.blah. We have a internal network of
    128.1.0.0/24 . Running in the internal network is a Check Point
    Security app which we are integrading with a Windows 2000 Active
    Directory domain. Here is where the problems lie. The Active Directory
    Domain works if that DNS server is your primary but it does not resolv
    to the 207.DNS to get out on the internet so you get one or the other.
    NOT GOOD . The thought of configuring BIND or Named depending on your
    taste to see the Windows DNS as a SLave secondary does not make sense
    does it ? Because it is a private ip. Should it be the other way
    around having the Windows DNS forward to the Linux Box ?
    Sticking in a NS Record of a private ip just seems confusing to me....
    never tried this before. Anyone have any ideas or have done this
    before? Thanks all

    Chris May LPI-C, SCSA
    Unix Admin
    Columbus Hospital
    Newark, NJ

  2. Re: DNS Mixture

    Only the outside world needs the actual 207.* addresses.

    scenario 1) Windows DNS server is used by internal hosts for DNS, provides 128.* responses for local domain; Linux DNS is used by external hosts, provides 207.* responses.

    scenario 2) Using VIEWS under BIND create multiple copies of a domain SOA, one for external clients and another for internal clients.

    scenario 3) Make the internal domain name the same as the external except augmented with a ".local" suffix. Define www.ourdomain.com as the 207.* address and www.ourdomain.com.local as the 128.* address.

    Chris wrote:
    > OK here it is. We have a RedHat box acting as our main DNS server with
    > a public ip of 207.blah.blah.blah. We have a internal network of
    > 128.1.0.0/24 . Running in the internal network is a Check Point
    > Security app which we are integrading with a Windows 2000 Active
    > Directory domain. Here is where the problems lie. The Active Directory
    > Domain works if that DNS server is your primary but it does not resolv
    > to the 207.DNS to get out on the internet so you get one or the other.
    > NOT GOOD . The thought of configuring BIND or Named depending on your
    > taste to see the Windows DNS as a SLave secondary does not make sense
    > does it ? Because it is a private ip. Should it be the other way
    > around having the Windows DNS forward to the Linux Box ?
    > Sticking in a NS Record of a private ip just seems confusing to me....
    > never tried this before. Anyone have any ideas or have done this
    > before? Thanks all
    >
    > Chris May LPI-C, SCSA
    > Unix Admin
    > Columbus Hospital