/etc/fstab under linux (RH9.0) - Linux

This is a discussion on /etc/fstab under linux (RH9.0) - Linux ; Okay, this is weird. I'm trying to get an fstab entry for my handy JumpDrive pocket memory thingie. I've added lines to the /etc/fstab several times; after some minutes, not only does the line disappear, but the /mnt/jumpdrive *mount point* ...

  1. /etc/fstab under linux (RH9.0)

    Okay, this is weird. I'm trying to get an fstab entry for my handy
    JumpDrive pocket memory thingie. I've added lines to the /etc/fstab
    several times; after some minutes, not only does the line disappear,
    but the /mnt/jumpdrive *mount point* disappears.

    I have to admit I'm stumped: not only does this not work this way on
    other Unices I've used, but the fstab(5) man page explicitly says that
    programs *only* read /etc/fstab, and never write to it.

    Here's the fstab as I've got it right now:

    # Modifed FSTAB 2003/8/4 -- as noted, plus made the columns make sense
    # for an 80-column terminal window.
    #
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/jumpdrive auto noauto,user 0 0
    # File must end with a newline!

    Questions:

    (1) is this a bug or a feature I haven't tracked down yet?
    (2) how do you *make* a persistent change to your fstab if it's a
    "feature"?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: /etc/fstab under linux (RH9.0)

    Charlie Martin wrote:
    > Okay, this is weird. I'm trying to get an fstab entry for my handy
    > JumpDrive pocket memory thingie. I've added lines to the /etc/fstab
    > several times; after some minutes, not only does the line disappear,
    > but the /mnt/jumpdrive *mount point* disappears.
    >
    > I have to admit I'm stumped: not only does this not work this way on
    > other Unices I've used, but the fstab(5) man page explicitly says that
    > programs *only* read /etc/fstab, and never write to it.
    >
    > Here's the fstab as I've got it right now:
    >
    > # Modifed FSTAB 2003/8/4 -- as noted, plus made the columns make sense
    > # for an 80-column terminal window.
    > #
    > LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    > LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    > none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    > /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    > /dev/sda1 /mnt/jumpdrive auto noauto,user 0 0
    > # File must end with a newline!
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > (1) is this a bug or a feature I haven't tracked down yet?
    > (2) how do you *make* a persistent change to your fstab if it's a
    > "feature"?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I believe the "kudzu" daemon does that -- when you install a removeable
    device such as a digital camera, kudzu detects it and creates a fstab
    entry for that device as well as a directory under /mnt.

    Do you have anything in the /etc/fstab.REVOKE file?

    -SIGHUP-

  3. Re: /etc/fstab under linux (RH9.0)

    Charlie Martin wrote:
    > SIGHUP wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Charlie Martin wrote:
    >>
    >>>Okay, this is weird. I'm trying to get an fstab entry for my handy
    >>>JumpDrive pocket memory thingie. I've added lines to the /etc/fstab
    >>>several times; after some minutes, not only does the line disappear,
    >>>but the /mnt/jumpdrive *mount point* disappears.
    >>>
    >>>I have to admit I'm stumped: not only does this not work this way on
    >>>other Unices I've used, but the fstab(5) man page explicitly says that
    >>>programs *only* read /etc/fstab, and never write to it.
    >>>
    >>>Here's the fstab as I've got it right now:
    >>>

    >>>/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    >>>/dev/sda1 /mnt/jumpdrive auto noauto,user 0 0

    >>I believe the "kudzu" daemon does that -- when you install a removeable
    >>device such as a digital camera, kudzu detects it and creates a fstab
    >>entry for that device as well as a directory under /mnt.

    > Good pickup. As you'll notice, I'd removed kudzu from the fstab line
    > (well, you don't know I'd removed it, but it's not there) as the last
    > thing before posting, and by damn, the line is still there this
    > morning.
    >
    > Now -- you wouldn't happen to know how to set up kudzu to detect and
    > automount a jumpdrive, wouldja? :-)
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Have you tried manually deleting the entire jumpdrive line from your
    /etc/fstab file and deleting the /mnt/device directory?

    On my RH9 computer, the removable devices are not listed on the
    /etc/fstab file; however, they get automatically added to the fstab file
    by kudzu when I turn on the device, and a /mnt/device directory gets
    automatically created. Then, when I turn off the device, kudzu
    automagically removes the fstab entry as well as the /mnt/device directory.

    I believe that is the way it is supposed to work. Give it a try and let
    us know. As always, make sure to backup your /etc/fstab file and the
    /mnt/device_name directory before farting with your system ;-)

    J. Padron
    ---

  4. Re: /etc/fstab under linux (RH9.0)

    Jorge Padron wrote in message news:...
    > Charlie Martin wrote:
    > > SIGHUP wrote in message news:...

    > >>I believe the "kudzu" daemon does that -- when you install a removeable
    > >>device such as a digital camera, kudzu detects it and creates a fstab
    > >>entry for that device as well as a directory under /mnt.

    > > Good pickup. As you'll notice, I'd removed kudzu from the fstab line
    > > (well, you don't know I'd removed it, but it's not there) as the last
    > > thing before posting, and by damn, the line is still there this
    > > morning.
    > >
    > > Now -- you wouldn't happen to know how to set up kudzu to detect and
    > > automount a jumpdrive, wouldja? :-)
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help.

    > Have you tried manually deleting the entire jumpdrive line from your
    > /etc/fstab file and deleting the /mnt/device directory?
    >
    > On my RH9 computer, the removable devices are not listed on the
    > /etc/fstab file; however, they get automatically added to the fstab file
    > by kudzu when I turn on the device, and a /mnt/device directory gets
    > automatically created. Then, when I turn off the device, kudzu
    > automagically removes the fstab entry as well as the /mnt/device directory.
    >
    > I believe that is the way it is supposed to work. Give it a try and let
    > us know. As always, make sure to backup your /etc/fstab file and the
    > /mnt/device_name directory before farting with your system ;-)

    Thanks foir the note. Yes, I think we're indeed onto something here.
    I had tried letting itautomount to start with, and nothing happened.
    (At least, I tried it by accident -- I had the jumpdrive in the slot
    for a while before I sorted out that I had kernel support enabled and
    so on.)

    But then, how would kudzu know what to do with it. My Highly Trained
    Programmer Intuition suggests there must be a kudzu.conf or something
    similar... I'll go off and look, but feel free to give me hints :-)

+ Reply to Thread