Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial - Linux

This is a discussion on Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial - Linux ; I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and Alpha. We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about 60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only ...

  1. Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

    I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and
    Alpha. We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about
    60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only way we can
    keep our sanity.

    There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
    approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
    now !)

    We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager that
    allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers through some
    terminal server back to one system where we can control everything. It
    is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest changing to
    anything different.

    I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
    after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.

    Here is my question. Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
    a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
    continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
    hardware ?

    TIA

    jp

  2. Re: Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

    I dont know if there is anthing like that - you could try cyclades
    http://www.cyclades.com/

    Or you could use a KVM switch that has a remote access function - some have
    ethernet connection for remote access.

    Jack Patteeuw wrote:
    > I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC
    > and Alpha. We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support
    > about 60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only
    > way we can keep our sanity.
    >
    > There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
    > approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
    > now !)
    >
    > We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager
    > that allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers
    > through some terminal server back to one system where we can control
    > everything. It is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest
    > changing to anything different.
    >
    > I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
    > after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big
    > deal.
    >
    > Here is my question. Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board
    > with a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so
    > we can continue to use our current setup with older and/or
    > "non-server" Intel hardware ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > jp

  3. Re: Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

    Jack Patteeuw wrote:
    > I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and
    > Alpha. We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about
    > 60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only way we can
    > keep our sanity.
    >
    > There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
    > approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
    > now !)
    >
    > We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager that
    > allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers through some
    > terminal server back to one system where we can control everything. It
    > is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest changing to
    > anything different.
    >
    > I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
    > after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.
    >
    > Here is my question. Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
    > a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
    > continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
    > hardware ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > jp

    http://www.znark.com/tech/serialconsole.html

    Google: linux serial console

    --
    Bob Marcan mailto:bob.marcan@snt.si
    Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T mailto:bob.marcan@aster.si

  4. Re: Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

    Jack Patteeuw wrote:
    > I work in a medium sized shop supporting Solaris and Tru64 on SPARC and
    > Alpha. We have 3 sites, in 2 cities and only 2 people to support about
    > 60+ systems, so keeping things simple and common are the only way we can
    > keep our sanity.
    >
    > There is a lot of discussion about going to Linux especially as Alpha
    > approaches end of life (but boy, are there some deals on used hardware
    > now !)
    >
    > We currently use an old DEC software product called Console Manager that
    > allows us to connect the serial ports from multiple servers through some
    > terminal server back to one system where we can control everything. It
    > is simple, it is cheap and it works, so don't suggest changing to
    > anything different.
    >
    > I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
    > after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.
    >
    > Here is my question. Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
    > a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
    > continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
    > hardware ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > jp

    I'm using old Emulex terminal server for the same thing.

    --
    Bob Marcan mailto:bob.marcan@snt.si
    Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T mailto:bob.marcan@aster.si
    Nade Ovcakove 1 tel: +386 (1) 5894-329
    1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia http://www.snt.si

  5. Re: Mapping BIOS interface from VGA to serial

    Jack Patteeuw wrote:
    > I know most new Intel "servers" can map their BIOS output to COM1 and
    > after Linux is loaded re-directing its output to COM1 is not a big deal.
    >
    > Here is my question. Can anyone recommend a VGA "simulator" board with
    > a serial connection that maps VGA screen sequences to VT100 so we can
    > continue to use our current setup with older and/or "non-server" Intel
    > hardware ?

    There was a discussion about this on comp.os.linux.hardware a while
    back. There is a card that does what you want. Look it up on
    groups.google.com

+ Reply to Thread