SYS V IPC: changing message queue params - Linux

This is a discussion on SYS V IPC: changing message queue params - Linux ; I need to increase the SYS V message queue params for a production SuSE 8.2 environment. Having some trouble finding some guidance. Specifically, I want to increase the number of messages available per queue and system wide, and the number ...

  1. SYS V IPC: changing message queue params

    I need to increase the SYS V message queue params for a production
    SuSE 8.2 environment. Having some trouble finding some guidance.

    Specifically, I want to increase the number of messages available per
    queue and system wide, and the number of bytes per queue and system
    wide. I can reduce the number of queues from 128 (default) to 10 if
    that helps.

    Anyway, does anyone know of links on this, or know about it?

    --
    For email, put NOT SPAM in Subject or I'll probably miss it.
    <><

  2. Re: SYS V IPC: changing message queue params

    I think you want to use sysctl.
    example:
    /sbin/sysctl -w kernel.msgmax=256
    or use whatever number you want instead of 256.
    check out the other variables in /proc/sys/kernel, especially msgmnb and
    msgmni, and the man page for sysctl. You may want to modify your
    /etc/sysctl.conf file. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Kyle

    Richard wrote:
    > I need to increase the SYS V message queue params for a production
    > SuSE 8.2 environment. Having some trouble finding some guidance.
    >
    > Specifically, I want to increase the number of messages available per
    > queue and system wide, and the number of bytes per queue and system
    > wide. I can reduce the number of queues from 128 (default) to 10 if
    > that helps.
    >
    > Anyway, does anyone know of links on this, or know about it?

  3. Re: SYS V IPC: changing message queue params

    kyle_miller24@hotmail.com wrote...
    > I think you want to use sysctl.
    > example:
    > /sbin/sysctl -w kernel.msgmax=256
    > or use whatever number you want instead of 256.
    > check out the other variables in /proc/sys/kernel, especially msgmnb and
    > msgmni, and the man page for sysctl. You may want to modify your
    > /etc/sysctl.conf file. Hope this helps.

    Hi Kyle,

    I tried that a couple of weeks back, and couldn't get it to work.
    What I wound up doing was adding

    echo 256 > /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax

    and so on to /etc/init.d/boot.local.

    Seems like a kludge compared to sysctl.conf, but again I couldn't get
    sysctl to do anything.

    > Richard wrote:
    > > I need to increase the SYS V message queue params for a production
    > > SuSE 8.2 environment. Having some trouble finding some guidance.
    > >
    > > Specifically, I want to increase the number of messages available per
    > > queue and system wide, and the number of bytes per queue and system
    > > wide. I can reduce the number of queues from 128 (default) to 10 if
    > > that helps.
    > >
    > > Anyway, does anyone know of links on this, or know about it?

    --
    Gonna miss seeing you play, Pete Sampras.

+ Reply to Thread