how to install application without rpm - Linux

This is a discussion on how to install application without rpm - Linux ; I am tring to install cyrus-sasl 2.1.15 on Redhat 7.3, but cannot find the rpm file. I have 1.5.24 installed now, but "dangerous" to uninstall it because so many applications need its libs. Can I just compile the source and ...

  1. how to install application without rpm

    I am tring to install cyrus-sasl 2.1.15 on Redhat 7.3, but cannot find the
    rpm file. I have 1.5.24 installed now, but "dangerous" to uninstall it
    because so many applications need its libs. Can I just compile the source
    and install the latest version? How can I uninstall later?

    At first I love RPM for its convenience, but now I don't like it because it
    needs so many dependencies, and always not the latest version.

  2. Re: how to install application without rpm

    Kenneth Chan wrote:

    > I am tring to install cyrus-sasl 2.1.15 on Redhat 7.3, but cannot find the
    > rpm file. I have 1.5.24 installed now, but "dangerous" to uninstall it
    > because so many applications need its libs. Can I just compile the source
    > and install the latest version? How can I uninstall later?
    >
    > At first I love RPM for its convenience, but now I don't like it because
    > it needs so many dependencies, and always not the latest version.

    Yes you sure can compile the program
    You could also look for the rpms at rpmfind.net
    Have a nice day

    Amar