How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS - Linux

This is a discussion on How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS - Linux ; Hi, Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically, I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines ...

  1. How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    Hi,

    Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.

    ekl

  2. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:18:08 -0400,
    EKL , in
    wrote:

    +> Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    +> leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    +> I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    +> avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.

    Ummm...you don't? I can't speak to LynxOS, but I've had Solaris boxen
    with uptimes on the order of 4-6 months. If they weren't connected to
    the commidity internet, and the power stayed on, and I wasn't so
    zealous in applying the recommended and security patches, I could
    probably get uptimes in the *years*.

    What you have to worry about are buggy applications doing bad things
    to your system resources.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    > +> Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on

    resource
    > +> leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines).

    Basically,
    > +> I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these

    machines to
    > +> avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.
    >
    > Ummm...you don't? I can't speak to LynxOS, but I've had Solaris boxen
    > with uptimes on the order of 4-6 months. If they weren't connected to
    > the commidity internet, and the power stayed on, and I wasn't so
    > zealous in applying the recommended and security patches, I could
    > probably get uptimes in the *years*.
    >
    > What you have to worry about are buggy applications doing bad things
    > to your system resources.

    Thanks James. Even though you may not need to reboot for a long time, but do
    you notice any performance degradation over time or unexplained resource
    losses of usages? Thanks.

  4. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, EKL wrote:

    > Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    > leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    > I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    > avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.

    I don't know about LynxOS, but you reboot a Solaris machine
    when you add hardware that isn't hot swappable, or when you
    apply one or more patches that need the machine to be rebooted
    to take effect (e.g., the kernel jumbo patch). Depending on
    your paranoia level, you should probably look at adding the
    latest recommended patch cluster quarterly perhaps, more or
    less.

    Rebooting Solaris machines "just because" is neither necessary
    nor desirable. It's a habit from people who look after Windoze
    machines.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  5. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    In article ,
    "EKL" wrote:

    > > +> Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on

    > resource
    > > +> leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines).

    > Basically,
    > > +> I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these

    > machines to
    > > +> avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Ummm...you don't? I can't speak to LynxOS, but I've had Solaris boxen
    > > with uptimes on the order of 4-6 months. If they weren't connected to
    > > the commidity internet, and the power stayed on, and I wasn't so
    > > zealous in applying the recommended and security patches, I could
    > > probably get uptimes in the *years*.
    > >
    > > What you have to worry about are buggy applications doing bad things
    > > to your system resources.

    > Thanks James. Even though you may not need to reboot for a long time, but do
    > you notice any performance degradation over time or unexplained resource
    > losses of usages? Thanks.

    That only happens when you let evil developers use your systems. They
    can write the worst stuff that screws up your filesystems and not clean
    up after themselves. Then they want hourly backups of all their files
    in case they screw up. If you just run without users, your servers can
    go for _very long_ without rebooting. If the applications and system
    are designed with properly, the day-to-day procedures to run the system
    are established and maintained, and the environment is OK (e.g.
    datacenter with A/C, UPS, and backup generator), you shouldn't need to
    reboot your systems for anything less than a hardware failure.

    Obviously, that's not possible. You ask an overly-broad, marketing-type
    question without specifics of your situation. You must be responding to
    something a PHB asked you to find out.

    The "general rule" of UNIX is "don't reboot unless you have to (or
    you're lazy and don't want to figure out what to fix your problem".
    Sysadmins are forever quoting the longest "uptime" on their systems as a
    matter of pride.

    In common practice, scheduling downtime at least once a month gets the
    users used to the idea of a "downtime" and gives you headroom to plan
    projects that require an outage--hardware and software upgrades,
    testing, or whatever.

    If you can't do this, buy lots of hardware and build a fault tolerant
    system. Bring your checkbook.

  6. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    EKL wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    > leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    > I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    > avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.
    >
    > ekl

    Dunno Solaris 9 specifically, but if there are no application leaks,
    uptime is more determined by the need to perform hardware and/or
    software maintenance/upgrades rather than any inherent need.
    Have seen servers with uptimes in excess of a year and doubt if
    that is a record....hopefully not starting a "longest uptime"
    subthread.

  7. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    "Michael Vilain " wrote in news:news-
    0A1283.10123524072003@news.tdl.com:

    > If you just run without users

    Yup, it's them darned users that are the problem!

  8. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    In article , En-
    Kuang_Lung@raytheon.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    > leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    > I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    > avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.

    For Solaris: Never. (Unless there's some application software that's
    always running and leaking memory.)

    At my last job, we had an old Sparc 20 that had been running
    continuously for four years before we shut it down and replaced it with
    an Ultra 10. I mean literally continuously -- the "uptime" command said
    something like 1481 days. The Cisco router on the same subnet had been
    running continuously for even longer.

    'Course, that Sparc 20 wasn't running Solaris 9, obviously. It was
    Solaris 2.5.1. I presume that Solaris 9 is just as stable as 2.5.1
    is/was.

  9. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    In article , "Michael Vilain
    " says...

    > The "general rule" of UNIX is "don't reboot unless you have to (or
    > you're lazy and don't want to figure out what to fix your problem".

    Hey, you'd be surprised how often a reboot will fix a particularly pesky
    problem. Just ask your friendly neighborhood MCSE.

    > Sysadmins are forever quoting the longest "uptime" on their systems as a
    > matter of pride.

    Heh.. 1,481 days. Read it and weep.

    > In common practice, scheduling downtime at least once a month gets the
    > users used to the idea of a "downtime" and gives you headroom to plan
    > projects that require an outage--hardware and software upgrades,
    > testing, or whatever.

    And it gives you a chance to install the latest set of recommended and
    security patches, after which a reboot is usually a good idea.

  10. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    "EKL" wrote:

    ]Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    ]leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    ]I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    ]avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.

    For the statistics, I run a program that checks various things, such as swap
    usage, swap activity, cpu usage, disk usage, i-node usage, network errors etc
    and log that using rrdtool. I then display daily stats, and yearly stats so I
    can get trends and predict when a filesystem will fill up etc. This works very
    well.

    For re-boots - many will say that you don't need to. From experience, you dont
    need regular reboots, but if you install an application or patch, you should
    consider scheduling an attended re-boot shortly afterwards when it suits
    everyone. You want to make sure it still boots cleanly in case of an
    unscheduled unattended reboot later on. You want to make sure that everything
    starts up as it should from a re-boot.

  11. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    Frank-Christian Kruegel wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:18:08 -0400, "EKL" wrote:
    >
    >>Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    >>leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    >>I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    >>avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.

    > My uptime record was 611 days on a Netra T1. On the 612th day I had to swap both
    > hard disks. No problems during that time.

    See, that's what happens when you allow the hard disks to hit
    the 611.5 day timer, at which point they become so fragmented
    not even Humpty Dumpty can put them back together.

    The only issue I can recall is that after "N" days of operation
    the file modification dates would go bogus. Unfortunately
    can't remember what "N" was ?240 days? or if this was a
    SunOS 4.x feature or only on a machine based on SunOS 4.x

  12. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    Lon Stowell writes:

    > The only issue I can recall is that after "N" days of operation
    > the file modification dates would go bogus. Unfortunately
    > can't remember what "N" was ?240 days? or if this was a
    > SunOS 4.x feature or only on a machine based on SunOS 4.x

    Sure this wasn't the "248 days, I hang" bug in Solaris 2.x?

    The comments in the bug report were something like "customer may
    lose satellite if this happens again".

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  13. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On 25 Jul 2003 12:49:10 GMT,
    > Casper H.S. Dik , in
    > <3f212746$0$49103$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> wrote:

    > +>
    > +> The comments in the bug report were something like "customer may
    > +> lose satellite if this happens again".
    >
    > Oh, great, so NASA already has an excuse if they lose one (or more) of
    > the recently launched Mars probes??

    Nah. It was a company who run telecommunications satellites. For some
    reason they get a bit annoyed if they lose their geostationary
    satellites every 248 days.

    That got fixed back in Solaris 2., I think, 6, and patched back as far
    as about 2.3.

    --
    Tony

  14. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:36:48 +0100,
    Tony Walton , in
    <3F214080.5020909@s-u-n.com> wrote:
    +> I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    +> > On 25 Jul 2003 12:49:10 GMT,
    +> > Casper H.S. Dik , in
    +> > <3f212746$0$49103$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> wrote:
    +>
    +> > +>
    +> > +> The comments in the bug report were something like "customer may
    +> > +> lose satellite if this happens again".
    +> >
    +> > Oh, great, so NASA already has an excuse if they lose one (or more) of
    +> > the recently launched Mars probes??
    +>
    +> Nah. It was a company who run telecommunications satellites. For some
    +> reason they get a bit annoyed if they lose their geostationary
    +> satellites every 248 days.

    1. Yeah, I imagine they would get a little peeved if a multi-million
    dollar platform went missing...

    2. How do you lose a geostationary satellite? by definition, you know
    exactly where it is, all the time...unless the computer in question
    would send out orbital correction commands to the satellite(s)!!

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  15. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    "EKL" wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would someone please give me some pointers on a trend analysis on resource
    > leaks for Solaris 9 and LynxOS (or in general on UNIX machines). Basically,
    > I need statistics to determine how often I need to restart these machines to
    > avoid unplanned failures. Thanks.
    >
    > ekl

    In general, operating systems do not leak resources. That goes for
    UNIX (all brands, including Solaris) and other OSs (VMS, Primos,
    Multics etc). For maximum reliability just leave the machine switched
    on! Perhaps you have been using Microsoft-Windows?

    -apm

  16. Re: How often should I reboot Solaris and LynxOS

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    > 2. How do you lose a geostationary satellite? by definition, you know
    > exactly where it is, all the time...unless the computer in question
    > would send out orbital correction commands to the satellite(s)!!

    That was pretty much the case, IIRC.

    --
    Tony

+ Reply to Thread