device files on linux? anyone? - Linux

This is a discussion on device files on linux? anyone? - Linux ; Hello all - I have 2 linux boxes with fiber connecting to my SAN box at each site. On each server I have veritas f/s running. Now, when I promote my LUNS from HOST (A) to the HOST (B) server ...

  1. device files on linux? anyone?

    Hello all -

    I have 2 linux boxes with fiber connecting to my SAN box at each site.
    On each server I have veritas f/s running. Now, when I promote my LUNS
    from HOST (A) to the HOST (B) server for the very first time, it fails
    as HOST (A) have never been primary LUNS for host(B) and the device
    file system never knows about them.

    But when I reboot my box host(B), i can import the disk group onto
    host (B). This is because the device file systems get updated. At
    the same time when i move them back to HOST (A) box I can mount HOST
    (A) LUNS and not HOST (B)'s LUNs until I reboot Host A and the device
    f/s get updated.

    As long as it the primary disk group to the HOST server its fine.
    Until, I reboot the server and the device file system is rebuilt then
    I will not be able to mount the remote LUNs of each server as they get
    wiped from the device file system.

    CAn someone tell me what command I can run to scan all the devices OR
    not to remove my devices which are not attached! i.e. save my device
    file prior to my reboot. It seems that each time my machine reboots
    and the devices are not listed, it will remove those device file.
    Does anyone have any idea to prevent my device files i.e. /dev dir not
    to change! Is there something equiv. of fsdevadmin (in solaris, if im
    correct) in Linux!

    Any help will be helpful!
    hallian

  2. Re: device files on linux? anyone?

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:03:04 -0700, hallian wrote:

    > Hello all -
    >
    > I have 2 linux boxes with fiber connecting to my SAN box at each site.
    > On each server I have veritas f/s running. Now, when I promote my LUNS
    > from HOST (A) to the HOST (B) server for the very first time, it fails
    > as HOST (A) have never been primary LUNS for host(B) and the device
    > file system never knows about them.

    LOL nobody smart enough here (comp.os.linux.redhat) to help you. Veritas has forums with
    intellignet people that are much more than willing to help you.

+ Reply to Thread