Blocking Chat - Linux

This is a discussion on Blocking Chat - Linux ; Hi All, Anyone sussed a way of blocking the msn chat client. First thing i tried was blocking port: 1863 iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 1863 -j REJECT and then iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -s 10.0.0.0/24 -d messenger.hotmail.com ...

  1. Blocking Chat

    Hi All,

    Anyone sussed a way of blocking the msn chat client. First thing i
    tried was blocking port: 1863

    iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 1863 -j REJECT

    and then

    iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -s 10.0.0.0/24 -d messenger.hotmail.com -j
    REJECT

    and then iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -s 10.0.0.0/24 -d 64.4.0.0/18 -j
    REJECT

    And loads of other combos as well.

    Just had a google around. And it turns out that the little bastard
    will continue to probe for other ports when denied access to 1863. It
    can also http tunnel!

    I could drop an acl on squid. But i would prefer to use netfilter as i
    can then run it a cron job with my other firewalll scripts. Its been
    requested that i limit the times that people can chat.

    Many Thanks

    Luke

  2. Re: Blocking Chat

    luke wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Anyone sussed a way of blocking the msn chat client.

    I think you'll find that the best solution is not technical, but
    disciplinary...

+ Reply to Thread