lan printer - Linux

This is a discussion on lan printer - Linux ; I'm trying to print from a linux box (redhat 7.3) to a lan(windows) printer (HP LaserJet 4050), but without success. This printer is shared from the logon server, even if it is not phycally attacched to the server, but it ...

  1. lan printer

    I'm trying to print from a linux box (redhat 7.3) to a lan(windows)
    printer (HP LaserJet 4050),
    but without success.
    This printer is shared from the logon server, even if it is not
    phycally attacched to the server, but
    it has a network ip. (If you see in control panel->printers I have a
    shared printer (on port ip_x.y.z.w).
    I used printconfig tools, choosing the smb smb (windows) printer with
    this value:
    share //server_name/sharing_name
    hostname ip_server
    user pippo
    password xxxx
    workgroup domain_name
    If I launch a test page, in status.pr I have that the job result is
    JSUCC (on the contrary If I put in hostname
    the ip of printer instad of the server ip I recieve a JFAIL), but the
    page is not printed!
    What is the problem?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: lan printer

    whitepad@hotmail.com (bob) wrote
    news:f881b4a1.0307210836.2883c30c@posting.google.c om:

    > I'm trying to print from a linux box (redhat 7.3) to a lan(windows)
    > printer (HP LaserJet 4050),

    Many choices :

    - use SAMBA client (smbclient) to print to the share Windows printer.
    - install the remote Unix print service on Windows and use the "normal" lpr
    print command on Linux
    - have a look to CUPS that should manage all this (http://www.cups.org)

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread