Determine Free Space on Tape - Linux

This is a discussion on Determine Free Space on Tape - Linux ; Hi - I've only recently started using tar to back up my linux system to a scsi tape drive (Travan 20GB), where I used to back up directly to a spare hard disk drive. I have no problems running the ...

  1. Determine Free Space on Tape

    Hi -

    I've only recently started using tar to back up my linux system to a scsi
    tape drive (Travan 20GB), where I used to back up directly to a spare hard
    disk drive. I have no problems running the backup, but I am curious to know
    if there is an easy way to see how much free space is left on the tape? I'm
    only using tar and have no gui tools or other backup programs. I would
    simply like to know how much room on the tape the backup is taking. I
    suppose I could count up the size of all the directories I'm backup up, but
    that doesn't factor tape compression. Does one of the "mt" options allow
    you to see how much space remains?

    Thanks.

    (reply to group)

  2. Re: Determine Free Space on Tape

    "FriscoKid" writes:

    Hi,

    The "mt tell" option can give you some idea, if your drive supports this
    (many scsi drives do). After you write your backup file, you can
    use "mt tell" to see what block your on. If you multiply by block size,
    that will be roughly how much tape you used up.

    If you want to find out how much stuff is already on the tape,
    first do "mt eod" to move to the "end of data."

    Don't forget to use the "no-rewind" drive specification,
    e.g.

    mt -f /dev/nst0 eod
    mt -f /dev/nst0 tell

    Hope that helps.

    --William Cherry

    > Hi -
    >
    > I've only recently started using tar to back up my linux system to a scsi
    > tape drive (Travan 20GB), where I used to back up directly to a spare hard
    > disk drive. I have no problems running the backup, but I am curious to know
    > if there is an easy way to see how much free space is left on the tape? I'm
    > only using tar and have no gui tools or other backup programs. I would
    > simply like to know how much room on the tape the backup is taking. I
    > suppose I could count up the size of all the directories I'm backup up, but
    > that doesn't factor tape compression. Does one of the "mt" options allow
    > you to see how much space remains?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > (reply to group)

  3. Re: Determine Free Space on Tape