Re: rc init scripts - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: rc init scripts - Linux ; Me wrote: > Hi > Linux newbie here. I'm trying to get mysql / smb / httpd to auto-start on > bootup of the server. From most of the documentation I found on the web I > was supposed to ...

  1. Re: rc init scripts

    Me wrote:

    > Hi
    > Linux newbie here. I'm trying to get mysql / smb / httpd to auto-start on
    > bootup of the server. From most of the documentation I found on the web I
    > was supposed to
    > 1) copy the startup script to /etc/init.d (Did this , scripts work by
    > invoking them with a start parameter)
    > 2) create symbolic links prefaced with S and followed by a number in one
    > of the run level directories (I did this in rc3.d)
    > Rebooted the computer, they didnt work.
    > I then deleted the symbolic links and tried adding them using chkconfig
    > -add mysql.server (the mysql default script), following this chkconfig
    > --list showed mysql ON on runlevel 2 and 4. But it still didnt work. I
    > also added httpd at runlevel 3, no dice with that either (the httpd script
    > did have the chkconfig values preset).
    >
    > Any idea what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Thanks a LOT
    >
    > Muhammed

    Are you sure you're booting into runlevel 3? The default on most distros is
    runlevel 5 (graphical logon mode). Type /sbin/runlevel and check. If you
    see something like:

    N 5

    This means your in runlevel 5 (It's the last number that tells the current
    runlevel).

    You can also check the runlevel by looking at /etc/inittab and looking for
    the line that says:

    # The default runlevel is defined here
    id:5:initdefault:

    If you are runlevel 5 you need to do your above changes to /etc/init.d/rc5.d
    not /etc/init.d/rc3.d.

  2. Re: rc init scripts

    "renrutv" wrote in message
    news:SNDQa.1682$Mc.154270@newsread1.prod.itd.earth link.net...
    > Me wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > Linux newbie here. I'm trying to get mysql / smb / httpd to auto-start

    on
    > > bootup of the server. From most of the documentation I found on the web

    > > was supposed to
    > > 1) copy the startup script to /etc/init.d (Did this , scripts work by
    > > invoking them with a start parameter)
    > > 2) create symbolic links prefaced with S and followed by a number in one
    > > of the run level directories (I did this in rc3.d)
    > > Rebooted the computer, they didnt work.
    > > I then deleted the symbolic links and tried adding them using chkconfig
    > > -add mysql.server (the mysql default script), following this chkconfig
    > > --list showed mysql ON on runlevel 2 and 4. But it still didnt work. I
    > > also added httpd at runlevel 3, no dice with that either (the httpd

    script
    > > did have the chkconfig values preset).
    > >
    > > Any idea what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Thanks a LOT
    > >
    > > Muhammed

    > Are you sure you're booting into runlevel 3? The default on most distros

    is
    > runlevel 5 (graphical logon mode). Type /sbin/runlevel and check. If you
    > see something like:
    >
    > N 5
    >
    > This means your in runlevel 5 (It's the last number that tells the current
    > runlevel).
    >
    > You can also check the runlevel by looking at /etc/inittab and looking for
    > the line that says:
    >
    > # The default runlevel is defined here
    > id:5:initdefault:
    >
    > If you are runlevel 5 you need to do your above changes to

    /etc/init.d/rc5.d
    > not /etc/init.d/rc3.d.

    Hi again,
    Thanks a lot , ur solution worked like a charm. I had erroneously thought
    that all of the rcX.d scripts run , not only the ones in the same runlevel
    ur logging in to. One other question, since the runlevel may be changed
    later, to make sure that the services I want are running, should I add the
    symbolic link to all the run levels 2 thru 5? No harm in doing that?

    Muhammed
    PS Thanks again

  3. Re: rc init scripts

    Me wrote:

    > "renrutv" wrote in message
    > news:SNDQa.1682$Mc.154270@newsread1.prod.itd.earth link.net...
    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> > Linux newbie here. I'm trying to get mysql / smb / httpd to auto-start

    > on
    >> > bootup of the server. From most of the documentation I found on the web

    >> > was supposed to
    >> > 1) copy the startup script to /etc/init.d (Did this , scripts work by
    >> > invoking them with a start parameter)
    >> > 2) create symbolic links prefaced with S and followed by a number in
    >> > one of the run level directories (I did this in rc3.d)
    >> > Rebooted the computer, they didnt work.
    >> > I then deleted the symbolic links and tried adding them using chkconfig
    >> > -add mysql.server (the mysql default script), following this chkconfig
    >> > --list showed mysql ON on runlevel 2 and 4. But it still didnt work. I
    >> > also added httpd at runlevel 3, no dice with that either (the httpd

    > script
    >> > did have the chkconfig values preset).
    >> >
    >> > Any idea what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Thanks a LOT
    >> >
    >> > Muhammed

    >> Are you sure you're booting into runlevel 3? The default on most distros

    > is
    >> runlevel 5 (graphical logon mode). Type /sbin/runlevel and check. If
    >> you see something like:
    >>
    >> N 5
    >>
    >> This means your in runlevel 5 (It's the last number that tells the
    >> current runlevel).
    >>
    >> You can also check the runlevel by looking at /etc/inittab and looking
    >> for the line that says:
    >>
    >> # The default runlevel is defined here
    >> id:5:initdefault:
    >>
    >> If you are runlevel 5 you need to do your above changes to

    > /etc/init.d/rc5.d
    >> not /etc/init.d/rc3.d.
    >>

    > Hi again,
    > Thanks a lot , ur solution worked like a charm. I had erroneously
    > thought that all of the rcX.d scripts run , not only the ones in the same
    > runlevel ur logging in to. One other question, since the runlevel may be

    Actually, this is really not a bad assumption. Other versions of Unix *do*
    work this way. On Solaris, runlevel 5 means execute the scripts for
    runlevels 1,2,3,4 and then 5. So all your network stuff is added to
    runlevel3. Runlevel 5 would just start the X stuff and wouldn't have to
    bother with the network stuff because it had already been started. On
    Linux the runlevels are "orthogonal", and run independently of each other.

    > changed later, to make sure that the services I want are running, should I
    > add the symbolic link to all the run levels 2 thru 5? No harm in doing
    > that?

    Yes, definitely, although practically speaking runlevels 3 and 5 are all
    you have to be concerned with (at least that's my experience as I'm just
    running a workstation for browsing the web etc).

+ Reply to Thread