"Me :\)" wrote in message news:...
> Hi
> Linux newbie here. I'm trying to get mysql / smb / httpd to auto-start on
> bootup of the server. From most of the documentation I found on the web I
> was supposed to
> 1) copy the startup script to /etc/init.d (Did this , scripts work by
> invoking them with a start parameter)
> 2) create symbolic links prefaced with S and followed by a number in one of
> the run level directories (I did this in rc3.d)
> Rebooted the computer, they didnt work.
> I then deleted the symbolic links and tried adding them using chkconfig -add
> mysql.server (the mysql default script), following this chkconfig --list
> showed mysql ON on runlevel 2 and 4. But it still didnt work. I also added
> httpd at runlevel 3, no dice with that either (the httpd script did have the
> chkconfig values preset).
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Thanks a LOT
>
> Muhammed

It does vary slightly, but in essence you are doing it OK.

Check the file permissions on the file in /etc/init.d, I believe they
need to be executable.

Check your log files also - they will tell you what (if anything) went
wrong.

eg.
cp foo-script /etc/init.d
chmod +x /etc/init.d/foo-script
ln -s /etc/init.d/foo-script /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S97foo-script
ln -s /etc/init.d/foo-script /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K97foo-script