automatically creating users - Linux

This is a discussion on automatically creating users - Linux ; I'm still a newbie to linux administration and I'm used to the novell/ms way of doing things, so I'm not sure about the right terminology to use here. Let me describe what I want to do. With Windows XP Professional/2000/NT, ...

  1. automatically creating users

    I'm still a newbie to linux administration and I'm used to the
    novell/ms way of doing things, so I'm not sure about the right
    terminology to use here. Let me describe what I want to do.

    With Windows XP Professional/2000/NT, a user needs a local account on
    a machine to log on to the computer. However, if the computer is
    networked, the user can authenticate against the active directory
    server and have a local account automatically created. New users can
    be added once on the server and the account can then log in to all
    client computers that point to the correct domain.

    If I have a linux box, I have to create the account locally for the
    user to log in. I used Red Hat 9, told it to use kerberos as its
    authentication source and correctly pointed it at our university's
    kerberos servers. But in order to let a user login on the machine, I
    still had to type "useradd mynewuser" at the command prompt on the
    machine. If a user, say a student, can log in to any one of 50
    different lab machines, I have to add that user to /etc/passwd on each
    of those 50 machines. I know there are ways to script and cron this
    so it happens automatically, but the other way just seems so much
    easier.

    What I'd like to be able to do is tell the linux box that any user
    from a specific organizational unit in the active directory tree (or
    any units under it) can log in on the box. Failing that, just that
    any person authenticated by the university's active directory
    domain/kerberos servers can log in.

    If this were a pure linux environment, I assume I could just link
    /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to a networked share and then have 1 point
    for all the computers or something similar.

    Can anyone help me out or point me to some good man or how-to pages?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: automatically creating users

    jd142@hotmail.com (JS) wrote in message news:...
    > I'm still a newbie to linux administration and I'm used to the
    > novell/ms way of doing things, so I'm not sure about the right
    > terminology to use here. Let me describe what I want to do.
    >
    > With Windows XP Professional/2000/NT, a user needs a local account on
    > a machine to log on to the computer. However, if the computer is
    > networked, the user can authenticate against the active directory
    > server and have a local account automatically created. New users can
    > be added once on the server and the account can then log in to all
    > client computers that point to the correct domain.
    >
    > If I have a linux box, I have to create the account locally for the
    > user to log in. I used Red Hat 9, told it to use kerberos as its
    > authentication source and correctly pointed it at our university's
    > kerberos servers. But in order to let a user login on the machine, I
    > still had to type "useradd mynewuser" at the command prompt on the
    > machine. If a user, say a student, can log in to any one of 50
    > different lab machines, I have to add that user to /etc/passwd on each
    > of those 50 machines. I know there are ways to script and cron this
    > so it happens automatically, but the other way just seems so much
    > easier.
    >
    > What I'd like to be able to do is tell the linux box that any user
    > from a specific organizational unit in the active directory tree (or
    > any units under it) can log in on the box. Failing that, just that
    > any person authenticated by the university's active directory
    > domain/kerberos servers can log in.
    >
    > If this were a pure linux environment, I assume I could just link
    > /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to a networked share and then have 1 point
    > for all the computers or something similar.

    No if this were a pure Linux enviorment you would use NIS or NIS+.
    But I understand that you are a newbie. Ok newbie there are a lot of
    article's out now
    that give a howto on this. The theory is that you use a mix of LDAP
    Kerberos and Active Directory to authenticate the users against the
    AD. This is a major proje ct having done this myself. You will learn a
    lot about this whole design. Good Luck. Do a search on google since
    your not the only on e doing this.

    Chris May, LPI-C, SCSA
    Systems Analyst/Unix Administrator
    Columbus Hospital

  3. Re: automatically creating users

    You should set up a telnet service and arrange the firewall so that it
    allows connections from the network you want to. (I think. I'm a newb too.)
    "JS" wrote in message
    news:b072334c.0307100709.4a8323fc@posting.google.c om...
    > I'm still a newbie to linux administration and I'm used to the
    > novell/ms way of doing things, so I'm not sure about the right
    > terminology to use here. Let me describe what I want to do.
    >
    > With Windows XP Professional/2000/NT, a user needs a local account on
    > a machine to log on to the computer. However, if the computer is
    > networked, the user can authenticate against the active directory
    > server and have a local account automatically created. New users can
    > be added once on the server and the account can then log in to all
    > client computers that point to the correct domain.
    >
    > If I have a linux box, I have to create the account locally for the
    > user to log in. I used Red Hat 9, told it to use kerberos as its
    > authentication source and correctly pointed it at our university's
    > kerberos servers. But in order to let a user login on the machine, I
    > still had to type "useradd mynewuser" at the command prompt on the
    > machine. If a user, say a student, can log in to any one of 50
    > different lab machines, I have to add that user to /etc/passwd on each
    > of those 50 machines. I know there are ways to script and cron this
    > so it happens automatically, but the other way just seems so much
    > easier.
    >
    > What I'd like to be able to do is tell the linux box that any user
    > from a specific organizational unit in the active directory tree (or
    > any units under it) can log in on the box. Failing that, just that
    > any person authenticated by the university's active directory
    > domain/kerberos servers can log in.
    >
    > If this were a pure linux environment, I assume I could just link
    > /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to a networked share and then have 1 point
    > for all the computers or something similar.
    >
    > Can anyone help me out or point me to some good man or how-to pages?
    >
    > Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread