Mirroring disk and LVM - Linux

This is a discussion on Mirroring disk and LVM - Linux ; Hi All, I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0 with LVM. I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, ...

  1. Mirroring disk and LVM

    Hi All,

    I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
    with LVM.

    I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
    LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
    extension of LVM but not about mirroring?

    do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)

    Thanks
    Jaysheel

  2. Re: Mirroring disk and LVM

    jaysheelmehd@hotmail.com (Jaysheel Mehd) wrote in message news:<75fe20e0.0307081206.64904f6e@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
    > with LVM.
    >
    > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
    > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
    > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?
    >
    > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jaysheel

    There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
    a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
    url:

    http://www.google.com

    I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
    told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
    It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
    setup.

  3. Re: Mirroring disk and LVM

    I can use the RAID-1 but my problem is I have installed the operating
    system using LVM and without using mirror disk.

    Now I have the volume group but it is not an md device. I want to now
    create a mirror without reinstalling the operating system and
    configure the LVM and mirror both.

    Thanks
    Jaysheel

    Xyerp@hotmail.com (Xyerp) wrote in message news:<3d7bc779.0307090226.3cb47b22@posting.google.com>...
    > jaysheelmehd@hotmail.com (Jaysheel Mehd) wrote in message news:<75fe20e0.0307081206.64904f6e@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
    > > with LVM.
    > >
    > > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
    > > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
    > > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?
    > >
    > > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Jaysheel

    > There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
    > a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
    > url:
    >
    > http://www.google.com
    >
    > I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
    > told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
    > It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
    > setup.

  4. Re: Mirroring disk and LVM

    Xyerp@hotmail.com (Xyerp) wrote in message news:<3d7bc779.0307090226.3cb47b22@posting.google.com>...
    > jaysheelmehd@hotmail.com (Jaysheel Mehd) wrote in message news:<75fe20e0.0307081206.64904f6e@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
    > > with LVM.
    > >
    > > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
    > > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
    > > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?
    > >
    > > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Jaysheel

    > There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
    > a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
    > url:
    >
    > http://www.google.com
    >
    > I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
    > told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
    > It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
    > setup.

    Here is a better answer than the previous "search google" quote.

    http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.H...-4.html#ss4.14

    This section gives the basis for converting an existing system (non raid) to raid.

  5. Re: Mirroring disk and LVM

    "Jaysheel Mehd" wrote in message
    news:75fe20e0.0307090611.77754b14@posting.google.c om...
    | I can use the RAID-1 but my problem is I have installed the operating
    | system using LVM and without using mirror disk.
    |
    | Now I have the volume group but it is not an md device. I want to now
    | create a mirror without reinstalling the operating system and
    | configure the LVM and mirror both.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Jaysheel
    |
    | Xyerp@hotmail.com (Xyerp) wrote in message
    | > jaysheelmehd@hotmail.com (Jaysheel Mehd) wrote in message
    | > > Hi All,
    | > >
    | > > I am newbie to LVM. Basically I have a system installed with RedHat8.0
    | > > with LVM.
    | > >
    | > > I want to mirror the root drive with new disk. How can I do this using
    | > > LVM? I tried to look into How-to-LVM, it describes about LVM and
    | > > extension of LVM but not about mirroring?
    | > >
    | > > do you guys have any suggestions regarding this?(links, commands etc?)
    | > >
    | > > Thanks
    | > > Jaysheel
    | >
    | > There is some good information on "the internet". My friend and I use
    | > a search engine called "google" to find things like this. Here is the
    | > url:
    | >
    | > http://www.google.com
    | >
    | > I did a search using "google" with your question as the basis, and it
    | > told me that I need a thing called "RAID-1" to do this "disk mirror".
    | > It also told me that RedHat have an option to configure RAID during
    | > setup.

    It is not recommended that you use LVM and Software RAID together. There are
    many reports of failure and unreliability in this configuration. This is
    assuming you are using LVM on top of RAID.

    ken k

+ Reply to Thread