Re: TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe - Linux ; Good starting point .... http://www10.software.ibm.com/develo...90/index.shtml and / or http://linas.org/linux/i370.html for the "do-it-yourself" type. Both are quite good in fact. Regards, tneilso@us.ibm.com "Bernard Joseph" wrote in message news:UkmMa.58621$2D1.19498715@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net... > I'm building a model to measure the TCO of running Linux ...

  1. Re: TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe

    Good starting point ....

    http://www10.software.ibm.com/develo...90/index.shtml

    and / or http://linas.org/linux/i370.html for the "do-it-yourself" type.

    Both are quite good in fact.

    Regards,

    tneilso@us.ibm.com

    "Bernard Joseph" wrote in message
    news:UkmMa.58621$2D1.19498715@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
    > I'm building a model to measure the TCO of running Linux on an IBM

    mainframe
    > for my company. I'd like to partition excess capacity that we have on an
    > IBM mainframe machine and use Linux to support my file and print

    environment
    > that I currently have running on an NT server farm.
    >
    > I'd like to engage/contract a consulting firm or independent consultant

    that
    > has implemented this scenario to help me build the model.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a firm/consultant that meets this profile that they
    > might refer to me?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joseph Bernard

  2. Re: TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:15:19 GMT, "Tom Neilson"
    wrote:

    >Good starting point ....
    >
    >http://www10.software.ibm.com/develo...90/index.shtml
    >
    >and / or http://linas.org/linux/i370.html for the "do-it-yourself" type.
    >
    >Both are quite good in fact.

    I saw that the earlier poster was looking for a consultant that has
    experience with Linux on the zSeries, and I'm not that guy
    unfortunately (yet!). That being said, I recently attended a
    presentation by an IBM partner about Linux on their
    equipment--xSeries, iSeries, and zSeries--and I am hyped. There could
    be some serious server consolidation benefits here, and I'm getting
    ready to jump into the mix.

    Last night I read the IBM Red Book on implementing Linux on the
    iSeries, and frankly this is a no-brainer. I am definitely looking to
    push into this arena.

    Who else is pushing Linux on the iSeries? Are there any good community
    sites where this topic can be discussed in detail? I'd like to get a
    good conversation going. My expertise is with UNIX, but man does IBM
    look like they are getting their act together, and with LPAR this
    should all be relatively easy.

    I was also told today by a local IBM partner that you will be able to
    replace OS/400 with AIX on the iSeries in the near-future on the
    primary partition. While this may or may not float your boat, it does
    show that IBM is pushing UNIX in a big way.

    ---
    Dustin Puryear
    Puryear Information Technology
    Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
    security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.

+ Reply to Thread