Installing software... - Linux

This is a discussion on Installing software... - Linux ; Hi there, I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use ...

  1. Installing software...

    Hi there,

    I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So
    I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software
    like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use it?

    The installation assistant lets you choose the path. Now I have read
    about the directory structure of Linux, that programs should be that
    installed under /usr, and that users normally only have read access to
    this directory.

    How about StarOffice? It seems to need writing permission to some of
    the files it is installing.

    Where would you install a software like that?
    How would you define the user access?

    Thanks in advance,

    Xenofon Grigoriadis

  2. Re: Installing software...

    "Xenofon Grigoriadis" wrote in
    message news:1672675a.0306280144.23a91163@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So
    > I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software
    > like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use it?
    >
    > The installation assistant lets you choose the path. Now I have read
    > about the directory structure of Linux, that programs should be that
    > installed under /usr, and that users normally only have read access to
    > this directory.
    >
    > How about StarOffice? It seems to need writing permission to some of
    > the files it is installing.
    >
    > Where would you install a software like that?
    > How would you define the user access?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Xenofon Grigoriadis

    man hier

    ken k

  3. Re: Installing software...

    All softwares should be installed in administrators prefer location. I
    use /usr/local/utils. File / directory permissions can be used to
    allow other users access. If you have many groups, perhaps you could
    chose

    /usr/local/admin/utils
    /usr/local/accounts/utils
    /usr/local/network/utils

    A lot of it is up to you. You make choice!

  4. Re: Installing software...

    Xenofon Grigoriadis scribbled:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am Linux-newbie, but I have been reading some free documentation. So
    > I have a simple question. Where I am I SUPPOSED to install a software
    > like StarOffice, so that all users of a client computer can use it?

    In the case of StarOffice, you can perform a network installation as user
    root, then for each user they perform an installation which only puts about
    1.4 MB of files in their home directory leaving the bulk of the StarOffice
    suite in the common area selected durinf the network installation.

    ../setup net - I think is the correct parameters

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

+ Reply to Thread