Flash crashes firefox - Linux

This is a discussion on Flash crashes firefox - Linux ; Kier wrote: > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:02:10 -0700, llanalott wrote: > > > > > Kier wrote: > >> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:11:55 -0700, llanalott wrote: > >> > >> > > >> > Peter Kai ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Flash crashes firefox

    Kier wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:02:10 -0700, llanalott wrote:
    >

    > > Kier wrote:

    > >> There's nothing brilliant about trolling, it's just tedious stupidity as
    > >> far as I'm concerned.

    > > I agree if it doesn't serve a purpose.

    > Pretty much the only purpose that trolling serves is to cause trouble and
    > offence. I don't see that as useful in any way.

    > >> Why not ask in the PCLOS forums? This isn't a help group, more like a
    > >> flame and troll pit with a little advocacy thrown in.

    > > I already did, I've never gotten a decent answer there for anything.

    > If true, that surprises me. After all, what are the forums and groups for
    > except to help other users? Perhaps if you framed your question a little
    > less trollishly, you might get on better.

    Actually it get's soo many posts that what you ask gets buried fast
    and I really don't want to ask the same questions over and over..

    If my posts here seemed trollish it's because of the trolls.

    > > What Linux group is good for questions where there isn't a bunch of
    > > trolls?
    > >

    > There are always a few idiots about, whatever the group.

    Some though get attacked pretty hard.

    > --
    > Kier

  2. Re: Flash crashes firefox

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, llanalott@yahoo.com
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:29:22 -0700
    > <1191738562.308638.120320@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>:
    > > Hello, I have PcLinux which is based on Mandriva I believe. Anyway
    > > flash sites crash the firefox browser. Anybody know how to get around
    > > this this?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Regardless of the argument broiling about open proxies and
    > identity, there is apparently a legitimate problem here;
    > I wish I knew precisely where. I would believe it's
    > something to do with the Adobe plugin,

    Yes it is the plugin. There are workarounds that do work with most
    Linux distributions. Adobe is more dedicated to windows than it is to
    Linux. However they updated the Linux version in the beginning of
    October.

    > which on Gentoo
    > is installed as a binary.

    That's interesting.

    I usually update firefox myself so I have to point the flash install
    to where the browsers are.

    (Gnash isn't quite fully
    > developed yet, which is a pity.)
    >
    > A little background: I like to play Flash-based games, and
    > occasionally after doing so, and attempting to close the
    > window, the browser (I generally use Epiphany, which is a
    > Gecko derivative)

    I like it ok but I usually just use friefox.

    decides to go south, and I get a BugBuddy
    > instead. The traceback isn't all that useful (no symbols),
    > and I've yet to pin down the file that causes this issue.
    > (I suspect a miscoded advert.)

    Try going to yourtube, that almost always crashes my browser.

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    > std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);
    >
    > --

  3. Re: Flash crashes firefox

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:42:07 -0700, llanalott wrote:

    > Kier wrote:

    >> > I agree if it doesn't serve a purpose.

    >> Pretty much the only purpose that trolling serves is to cause trouble and
    >> offence. I don't see that as useful in any way.

    >> > I already did, I've never gotten a decent answer there for anything.

    >> If true, that surprises me. After all, what are the forums and groups for
    >> except to help other users? Perhaps if you framed your question a little
    >> less trollishly, you might get on better.

    > Actually it get's soo many posts that what you ask gets buried fast
    > and I really don't want to ask the same questions over and over..

    Well, you're not likely to do any better here, I have to say. If I were
    you, I'd persevere with the PCLOS forums. YOu probably aren't you only one
    to have your problem. I've occasionally had firefox misbehave with flash.

    > If my posts here seemed trollish it's because of the trolls.
    >
    >> > What Linux group is good for questions where there isn't a bunch of
    >> > trolls?
    >> >

    >> There are always a few idiots about, whatever the group.

    > Some though get attacked pretty hard.

    Usually because they deserve it.

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: Flash crashes firefox

    On 2007-10-07 08:29, llanalott@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello, I have PcLinux which is based on Mandriva I believe. Anyway
    > flash sites crash the firefox browser. Anybody know how to get around
    > this this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Even if you are a troll as other say, (I don't know) , I think it's
    it's known that there is a bug (still) in the alsa driver for some hardware,
    that make firefox hang or crash when you close flash.

    There is one workaround, and that it to _not_ close flash.

    Just open the first movie in a new tab , when it's done, go back to the first
    tab, leaving the player open, and continue to play all other movies.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2