Detect keypressees - Linux

This is a discussion on Detect keypressees - Linux ; Greetings! I have a problem, I have spurious keypress events in X.org. Those are the control and shift keys, last for a small fraction of a second and are extremely annoying when they trigger things you don't want. I further ...

  1. Detect keypressees

    Greetings!

    I have a problem, I have spurious keypress events in X.org. Those are the
    control and shift keys, last for a small fraction of a second and are
    extremely annoying when they trigger things you don't want. I further
    noticed that they happen more often when the system is under load. I
    noticed this on an x86 PC with a PS/2 keyboard and a PPC MacMini with a USB
    keyboard, so the bug even seems to be quite portable.

    What I'm now looking for is ways to trace emitted keycodes on various
    levels. On X11, I already have found xev and it shows those keypresses. Any
    ideas for other programs I could use?

    thanks

    Uli

  2. Re: Detect keypressees

    > I have a problem, I have spurious keypress events in X.org. Those are the
    > control and shift keys, last for a small fraction of a second ...
    >
    > What I'm now looking for is ways to trace emitted keycodes on various
    > levels. On X11, I already have found xev and it shows those keypresses. Any
    > ideas for other programs I could use?

    1. Search for "x11 replay" and "x11 nest". In general: interpose a synthetic
    X11 server (proxy server for X11), then spy on events.
    2. The "xtest" X11 protocol extension might help a little.
    3. Enable UI event logging in the application(s) of interest.
    [Ha ha; few applications support this.]
    4. Do it yourself: write an application which listens for those events
    on the root window and all descendants.

    --

  3. Re: Detect keypressees

    John Reiser wrote:
    > 1. Search for "x11 replay" and "x11 nest". In general: interpose a
    > synthetic
    > X11 server (proxy server for X11), then spy on events.
    > 2. The "xtest" X11 protocol extension might help a little.
    > 3. Enable UI event logging in the application(s) of interest.
    > [Ha ha; few applications support this.]
    > 4. Do it yourself: write an application which listens for those events
    > on the root window and all descendants.

    Thanks for those suggestions, but up to now xev does the job under X. What I
    need is another one that works without X, so I can tell whether these
    events come from the kernel or from X.

    cheers

    Uli

  4. Re: Detect keypressees

    Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

    > Thanks for those suggestions, but up to now xev does the job under X.
    > What I need is another one that works without X, so I can tell whether
    > these events come from the kernel or from X.

    man 1 showkey

    --
    Wil

+ Reply to Thread