what we are about - Linux

This is a discussion on what we are about - Linux ; In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply show large companies that there are choices in an OS and that ...

  1. what we are about

    In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support
    and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply show
    large companies that there are choices in an OS and that they do not
    have to pay a fortune to get.I will never forget when I gave the head
    manufacturing engineer a Debian BO disk and simplly said check it out .
    that was all it took.
    Remember World Domination is our ultimate goal.

    the silent first user

    #include xenophed@charter.net
    #DEFINE M$ = "sucks"

  2. Re: what we are about

    Dean Plude wrote:

    > In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support
    > and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply show
    > large companies that there are choices in an OS and that they do not
    > have to pay a fortune to get.I will never forget when I gave the head
    > manufacturing engineer a Debian BO disk and simplly said check it out .
    > that was all it took.
    > Remember World Domination is our ultimate goal.

    Linux will never achieve anything close to world domination unless the
    users unite and follow Apple's OSX direction. Now Linux has pretty much
    become a footnote in history compared to what apple is doing with UNIX.

    So unless that changes, it's a slow fade to black for the Linux
    community.

    You guys have a chance, but you must "unite" - it's that simple.

    OSX is now about 9 times as large in the world, 6 years ago you guys
    were neck and neck. What happened? No leadership is the answer.

    Within the next few weeks, OSX is going to be a CERTIFIED UNIX.

    Why isn't Linux up to this certification level?

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

  3. Re: what we are about

    On Oct 6, 3:47 pm, Gene Jones wrote:
    > Dean Plude wrote:
    > > In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support
    > > and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply show
    > > large companies that there are choices in an OS and that they do not
    > > have to pay a fortune to get.I will never forget when I gave the head
    > > manufacturing engineer a Debian BO disk and simplly said check it out .
    > > that was all it took.
    > > Remember World Domination is our ultimate goal.

    > Linux will never achieve anything close to world domination unless the
    > users unite and follow Apple's OSX direction. Now Linux has pretty much
    > become a footnote in history compared to what apple is doing with UNIX.
    >
    > So unless that changes, it's a slow fade to black for the Linux
    > community.
    >
    > You guys have a chance, but you must "unite" - it's that simple.
    >
    > OSX is now about 9 times as large in the world, 6 years ago you guys
    > were neck and neck. What happened? No leadership is the answer.
    >
    > Within the next few weeks, OSX is going to be a CERTIFIED UNIX.
    >
    > Why isn't Linux up to this certification level?
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

    Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful.
    It's two hundred thousand developers all trying to release their own
    version of Linux.

  4. Re: what we are about

    wrote in message
    news:1191705624.157060.40790@w3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful.
    > It's two hundred thousand developers all trying to release their own
    > version of Linux.

    Umm no. there are now two or three distro that dominate the "market" -
    (K)Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS being two of them. How many versions of Vista are
    there? Five? Six?

  5. Re: what we are about

    ____/ Gene Jones on Saturday 06 October 2007 20:47 : \____

    > Dean Plude wrote:
    >
    >> In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support
    >> and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply show
    >> large companies that there are choices in an OS and that they do not
    >> have to pay a fortune to get.I will never forget when I gave the head
    >> manufacturing engineer a Debian BO disk and simplly said check it out .
    >> that was all it took.
    >> Remember World Domination is our ultimate goal.

    > Linux will never achieve anything close to world domination unless the
    > users unite and follow Apple's OSX direction. Now Linux has pretty much
    > become a footnote in history compared to what apple is doing with UNIX.
    >
    > So unless that changes, it's a slow fade to black for the Linux
    > community.
    >
    > You guys have a chance, but you must "unite" - it's that simple.
    >
    > OSX is now about 9 times as large in the world, 6 years ago you guys
    > were neck and neck. What happened? No leadership is the answer.
    >
    > Within the next few weeks, OSX is going to be a CERTIFIED UNIX.
    >
    > Why isn't Linux up to this certification level?
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

    Apple's OS X is proprietary. It achieve S*. It's a case of replacing one
    locked-down Windows with another (better) one. Sorry. Same problems to ensue.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com

  6. Re: what we are about

    wrote in message
    news:1191705624.157060.40790@w3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On Oct 6, 3:47 pm, Gene Jones wrote:
    >> Dean Plude wrote:
    >> > In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support
    >> > and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply
    >> > show
    >> > large companies that there are choices in an OS and that they do not
    >> > have to pay a fortune to get.I will never forget when I gave the head
    >> > manufacturing engineer a Debian BO disk and simplly said check it out .
    >> > that was all it took.
    >> > Remember World Domination is our ultimate goal.

    >> Linux will never achieve anything close to world domination unless the
    >> users unite and follow Apple's OSX direction. Now Linux has pretty much
    >> become a footnote in history compared to what apple is doing with UNIX.
    >>
    >> So unless that changes, it's a slow fade to black for the Linux
    >> community.
    >>
    >> You guys have a chance, but you must "unite" - it's that simple.
    >>
    >> OSX is now about 9 times as large in the world, 6 years ago you guys
    >> were neck and neck. What happened? No leadership is the answer.
    >>
    >> Within the next few weeks, OSX is going to be a CERTIFIED UNIX.
    >>
    >> Why isn't Linux up to this certification level?
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

    > Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful.
    > It's two hundred thousand developers all trying to release their own
    > version of Linux.

    Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."

    If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have done so
    already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has absolutely zero
    mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue to dominate.

  7. Re: what we are about

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Gene Jones on Saturday 06 October 2007 20:47 : \____
    >
    >> Dean Plude wrote:
    >>
    >>> In my many years using linux I have come to know that to truly support
    >>> and promote linux as I did with brunswick and many others is simply show
    >>> large companies that there are choices in an OS and that they do not
    >>> have to pay a fortune to get.I will never forget when I gave the head
    >>> manufacturing engineer a Debian BO disk and simplly said check it out .
    >>> that was all it took.
    >>> Remember World Domination is our ultimate goal.

    >> Linux will never achieve anything close to world domination unless the
    >> users unite and follow Apple's OSX direction. Now Linux has pretty much
    >> become a footnote in history compared to what apple is doing with UNIX.
    >>
    >> So unless that changes, it's a slow fade to black for the Linux
    >> community.
    >>
    >> You guys have a chance, but you must "unite" - it's that simple.
    >>
    >> OSX is now about 9 times as large in the world, 6 years ago you guys
    >> were neck and neck. What happened? No leadership is the answer.
    >>
    >> Within the next few weeks, OSX is going to be a CERTIFIED UNIX.
    >>
    >> Why isn't Linux up to this certification level?
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

    > Apple's OS X is proprietary. It achieve S*. It's a case of replacing one
    > locked-down Windows with another (better) one. Sorry. Same problems to
    > ensue.

    It's about 80% *BSD with about 20% of Apple's stuff 'bolted on'. That
    website also claims: "hard at work to ensure that your computing experience
    remains free of system crashes".
    I hope the people at Future Publishing read that, as they use Macs in *all*
    their magazine publishing, & they DO crash. (At least once a day according
    to Paul Hudson). According to some people, that is a direct result of
    Apple's tinkering with *BSD.

    I've been using FreeBSD for some time on test, & not had it crash once. Out
    of curiosity I've just started using PC-BSD on one machine, & it uses
    FreeBSD ports. So far it's running fine.

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4

  8. Re: what we are about

    On 2007-10-06 14:20:24 -0700, bones4jones@gmail.com said:

    > Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful.

    Nonsense. Linux is used to run all kinds of server apps in big and
    small production environments. It's also the best thing to use when
    you have legacy Windows apps that you have to keep around: just stick
    them in a VMWare environment, and it doesn't matter when they get
    corrupted because you can instantly restart them from a pristine state.

    -jcr

  9. Re: what we are about

    On 2007-10-06 16:19:54 -0700, "Randy Oaks" said:

    > Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."

    More like, too many kitchens and too much effort to find the kitchen
    that's making what you're hungry for.

    > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have
    > done so already.

    Which consumer market? Linux is already in a hell of a lot of consumer
    devices, from TiVos to cell phones.

    > Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has absolutely zero
    > mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue to dominate.

    No, XP will dominate as Windows' market share erodes. Vista is a flop.

    Vista is the best thing that Microsoft could possibly have done for
    their competition. It will cost them 40% or more of their market
    share, with LInux picking up most of the server business and the Mac
    getting the portable and desktop installations.

    -jcr

  10. Re: what we are about

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:20:24 -0700, bones4jones wrote:

    > Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful.
    > It's two hundred thousand developers all trying to release their own
    > version of Linux.

    Inaccurate. Most developers are maintaining and creating packages, not
    distros. And, although it's quite a challenge to do so, a handful of
    developers can keep a distro going - see PCLOS or Mepis for examples.

    --
    Kier

+ Reply to Thread