[News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) Dying Like DRM? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) Dying Like DRM? - Linux ; Seeking market share, Microsoft removes WGA anti-piracy check from IE7 ,----[ Quote ] | The move is remarkable because it is the first time that Microsoft has | removed WGA checks from a product in order to increase the attractiveness ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) Dying Like DRM?

    Seeking market share, Microsoft removes WGA anti-piracy check from IE7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The move is remarkable because it is the first time that Microsoft has
    | removed WGA checks from a product in order to increase the attractiveness of
    | that product. It's difficult to see this as any but an attempt to get as many
    | users as possible to install IE7, even those who have pirated Windows.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-from-ie7.html

    Related:

    Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10 percent
    | in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of Firefox
    | which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent. *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/

    Firefox passes 400 million downloads

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Firefox just passed the 400 million download mark, according to the Spread
    | Firefox site for promoting the open-source, extendable Web browser.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...&subj=NewsBlog

    Firefox takes 28% market share in Europe

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All European countries saw an increase in Firefox participation with Hungary
    | showing the most dramatic increase from 27.2%, in the latest March 2007
    | survey, to 39.7%. Overall, Europe grew from 24.1% to 27.8%. *
    `----

    http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/07/f...are-in-europe/

    IE6: The zombie browser

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Paul Graham's much-dissected essay Microsoft is Dead offers some witty and
    | perceptive analysis, but it sidesteps the fact that Microsoft's rotten corpse
    | will take decades to decompose. *
    `----

    http://blogs.pathf.com/agileajax/200...e-zombie-.html

    IE7 Bites the Dust! Firefox 2.0 Did It!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the same three months, Internet Explorer 7 only managed to move up from
    | 32.02% to 33.15% and to 33.55%, meaning that in the past two months IE7 only
    | jumped 1.53%. *
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE7-B...It-64490.shtml

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) Dying Like DRM?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Seeking market share, Microsoft removes WGA anti-piracy check from IE7
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The move is remarkable because it is the first time that Microsoft has
    > | removed WGA checks from a product in order to increase the
    > | attractiveness of that product. It's difficult to see this as any but an
    > | attempt to get as many users as possible to install IE7, even those who
    > | have pirated Windows.
    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars

    post/20071004-seeking-market-share-microsoft-removes-wga-anti-piracy-check-from-ie7.html

    Thats a definite clue that micoshaft corporation needs piracy
    to get wider adoption of its software. When the BSA conspiracy comes
    calling, its wise to bring this to the attention of legal experts
    and decide if micoshaft should be prosecuted for encouraging piracy.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) DyingLike DRM?

    > Seeking market share, Microsoft removes WGA anti-piracy check from IE7

    Ha! Talk about desperation!

    And this line is a classic:

    "Microsoft claims that it "takes its commitment to help protect the
    entire Windows ecosystem seriously"

    .... by unleashing IE7 on software pirates?

    Riiiight.

    Oh, and as for the Windows plague being an "ecosystem" ... it's more
    like a toxic waste dump.

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The move is remarkable because it is the first time that Microsoft has

    .... been this desperate?

    Actually, no. It's certainly /not/ the /first/ time. Look at how
    frantically they ran around bribing people to vote for Oh-Oh-XML,
    for starters.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    22:44:21 up 58 days, 21:39, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.08

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) Dying Like DRM?

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 06 October 2007 22:46 : \____

    >> Seeking market share, Microsoft removes WGA anti-piracy check from IE7

    > Ha! Talk about desperation!
    >
    > And this line is a classic:
    >
    > "Microsoft claims that it "takes its commitment to help protect the
    > entire Windows ecosystem seriously"
    >
    > ... by unleashing IE7 on software pirates?
    >
    > Riiiight.
    >
    > Oh, and as for the Windows plague being an "ecosystem" ... it's more
    > like a toxic waste dump.
    >

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The move is remarkable because it is the first time that Microsoft has

    > ... been this desperate?
    >
    > Actually, no. It's certainly /not/ the /first/ time. Look at how
    > frantically they ran around bribing people to vote for Oh-Oh-XML,
    > for starters.

    OOXML = crime.

    OOXML = criminals in suits jumping for dollars.

    Even Microsoft recently admitted this:

    Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
    | instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
    | faced now?" *
    |
    | His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
    | for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
    | quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
    | standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
    | international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
    | through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!" * *
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007...oft-tech-.html

    More evidence of fraudulent activity:

    What Happened in Germany [on OOXML]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It looks like Germany is the new Portugal, actually. You do remember how in
    | Portugal IBM and Sun were not allowed in the room because it was
    | allegedly "too small" despite having empty chairs? Well, in Germany, Google
    | and Deutsche Telekom were allowed in the room but were not allowed to vote,
    | heise says. * *
    `----

    Microsoft Looks for the Big Guns in OOXML In-Fighting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bill Gates has reportedly been making phone calls to the Secretary of Defense
    | and the Secretary of Commerce to push the American National Standards
    | Institute to ignore the votes of its advisory committees and vote "yes" on
    | ISO standardizing Microsoft's Open Office XML (OOXML) format, the one in
    | competition with the OpenDocument Format (ODF) pushed by IBM and Sun. * *
    |
    | Gates reportedly picked up the phone when the last INCITS ballot failed by
    | one vote to support Microsoft.
    `----

    http://xml.sys-con.com/read/419573_p.htm

    Swiss Cheese [for OOXML]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The present spin doctors of Microsoft and ECMA managed to convince Mr.
    | Thomann to reject every serious technical and general concern we had
    | regarding OOMXL by pointing to compatibility reasons. At the end we had a
    | majority against Microsoft but which (giving the unfair rules) results in a
    | Swiss vote for Microsoft. Mr. Thomann was fretting and fuming at the end of
    | the meeting how it can be that successful international companies (we had
    | representatives from IBM, Google, ...) vote against the best interest of
    | their customers and theirself! * * *
    |
    | Yes, this is how the democratic system at SNV / ISO works. After the meeting
    | I could not eat as much as I wanted to puke...
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15521/swiss-cheese

    No is no, to OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’ve heard several reports of supporters of OOXML trying to get national
    | standards bodies to change their votes from “NO with comments” to “YES with
    | comments” because “it’s the same thing.” The logic, which I’ll explain in a
    | later post, is that any comments will trigger a ballot resolution meeting, so
    | there is no need to be so negative and vote NO. * *
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1762

    IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
    | not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
    | Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others. *
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

    OOXML does not buy its way in Italy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.piana.eu/cms/index.php?op...=52&Itemid=1#0

    http://www.openxml.info/index.php?op...id=7&Itemid=13

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://mv.asterisco.pt/2007/Jun/cat.cgi?MS%20OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
    | * * * Portugal) *
    |
    | * * * A Technical Commission (CT) did not exist when ISO 26300 (Open
    | * * * Document) was submitted neither when there was a submission of OOXML
    | * * * (ECMA 376, potential ISO 29500) for the the fast track, and that was
    | * * * the reason why Portugal did not submit any opinion nor had any right to
    | * * * vote. We expect that now, with the pressure made and the CT created
    | * * * there would be right to vote. * *
    |
    | * * * The CT was created by the Computing Institute, in which is delegated
    | * * * the responsability for the norms of the IT sector; a delegation granted
    | * * * by the Portuguese Institute of Quality (IPQ), the point of contact of
    | * * * ISO in Portugal. Its creation is motivated mainly by the pressures and
    | * * * availability of some people when the proposal for fast tracking of
    | * * * OOXML and a neccessity to avail now the OOXML as standard ISO and as a
    | * * * Portuguese National Standard * * *
    |
    | * * * In the meeting they were present:
    |
    | * * * 2 persons from II (Instituto de Informatica [Computing Institute])
    | * * * 1 person from the local government (Alentejo region)
    | * * * 1 person from Jurinfor [Jurinfor is a Microsoft partner]
    | * * * 2 persons from Microsoft
    | * * * 1 person from Primavera [Primavera is a Microsoft partner]
    | * * * 1 person from ISCTE
    | * * * 2 persons from Assoft [reportedly, most members of ASSOFT are Microsoft
    | * * partners]
    | * * * 1 person from the Inst. Informatica da Seg Social [Computing Institute
    | * * of the Social Welfare Department]
    | * * * 1 person from the Inst. Tecn. Informacao da Justiça (eu) [Technical
    | * * Institute Information of Justice (eu)]
    |
    | The meeting dealt basically with the bureaucracy details of the creation of
    | the CT. It didn't go into details of OOXML; that discussion will be held in
    | the next meeting, on July 16th about 14:30 in the II [Instituto de
    | Informatica, I assume] *
    |
    | The CT, thus, was composed of 8 vocal elements, one representative for each
    | of the organizations present. The II [Instituto de Informatica] is arranging
    | and hosting the initiative and is a not-named representative. *
    |
    | The 8 vocals will readily follow to the election of the president of the CT.
    | There was 1 candidate in the place (Miguel Sales Dias, from Microsoft). I did
    | not present my candidature but made myself available in case the rest of
    | representatives deemed it neccesary -- informed not adequate since to begin
    | with, as a member of the OpenDocument Alliance, I had a conflict of interest. * *
    |
    | The vote results were 7 votes in favor of Miguel Sales Dias, of Microsoft,
    | who was designated to preside over the CT, and a (1) blank vote.
    |
    | It was decided to adopt consensus as the form of adoption of any proposed
    | norm, following to majority vote in case there is no consensus in the CT and
    | if there is a strong opposition to submit any norm. *
    `----

    Sock Puppets to VoteSock Puppets to Vote on Monopoly Enablement in Colombia?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft sets the deck of card and ensures that (at least) 9 of out 14
    | chairs in the technical committee are also in its pocket.
    `----

    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/08/03/colombia-ooxml/

    Microsoft is Outmuscling OOXML Opposition in Spain

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Andalusian Government has reported recently the manipulation of Microsoft
    | in the National Technical Committee 71 of AENOR. On July 10th, just the day
    | before the one and only meeting of AENOR to study DIS 29500 and vote on it,
    | Microsoft announced officially (via the secretary of the Committee) that that
    | Andalusian Government and several other Spanish public entities were asking
    | for the approval of ISO DIS 29500 (what finally resulted all a fake!). * *
    `----

    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/27/ooxmll-spain/

    Packing The Court At The ISO?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | * * *...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
    | * * representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
    | * * their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
    | Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
    | have to resort to that?
    `----

    http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03...rt-at-the-iso/

    Guest Commentary: The converter hoax

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/open/artikel/92735

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
    00:00:01 up 26 days, 22:06, 5 users, load average: 1.66, 1.58, 1.35

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Is the Windows 'Genuine' 'Advantage' (WGA) Dying Like DRM?

    ____/ 7 on Saturday 06 October 2007 21:24 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Seeking market share, Microsoft removes WGA anti-piracy check from IE7
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The move is remarkable because it is the first time that Microsoft has
    >> | removed WGA checks from a product in order to increase the
    >> | attractiveness of that product. It's difficult to see this as any but an
    >> | attempt to get as many users as possible to install IE7, even those who
    >> | have pirated Windows.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars

    post/20071004-seeking-market-share-microsoft-removes-wga-anti-piracy-check-from-ie7.html

    > Thats a definite clue that micoshaft corporation needs piracy
    > to get wider adoption of its software. When the BSA conspiracy comes
    > calling, its wise to bring this to the attention of legal experts
    > and decide if micoshaft should be prosecuted for encouraging piracy.

    Of course. Microsoft /craves/ pirate, which it then spits at.

    Microsoft: No Quick Fix to Software Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Chief Research and Strategy Officer and one of the two successors
    | of Bill Gates along with Ray Ozzie, Chief Software Architect, revealed his
    | perspective over the worldwide anti-piracy efforts, with a special focus on
    | developing markets. Mundie expects by no means a quick fix to the piracy
    | problem and made it clear that he expects Microsoft to be in the trenches for
    | decades to come. * *
    `----

    http://atech4.blogspot.com/2007/09/m...-software.html

    Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    | operating system.
    |
    | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...cy-50577.shtml

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    | *
    | * "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | * people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | * As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | * They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | * collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    Why the illegal market determines the success of your software
    *
    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista however was marketed as being harder, better, faster, stronger
    | and more importantly - nigh uncrackable. Which proved a problem
    | because it made uptake noticably slower than that for XP. However,
    | things might have changed now because some awfully clever people
    | managed to crack Vista (apparently). This might have caused a
    | shift in demographics because users are now potentially able to
    | sample the "delights" of Vista without paying massively
    | inflated prices.
    `----

    http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_..._your_software

    Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the Business Software Alliance, an antipiracy watchdog
    | group for the software industry, counterfeits accounted for 86
    | percent of the software sold in China, 72 percent in India, 64
    | percent in Brazil and 83 percent in Russia. The figures are 2005
    | estimates, the last year for which data is available.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It appears that Ballmer doesn't agree, for he hinted that Vista's
    | antipiracy features might be tightened even more. "We [will]
    | really ferret through how far we can dial it up, and what that
    | means for customer experience and customer satisfaction," he said.
    `----

    http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/i...2;fp;16;fpid;1

    Chinese attitude on buying Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
    | USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
    | is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
    | Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
    | criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
    |
    | recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
    | of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
    `----

    http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-at...ing-vista.html

    Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
    | software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
    `----

    http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

    Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
    | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
    | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
    | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
    | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
    | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
    | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
    | plans for world domination.
    |
    | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
    | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
    `----

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

    Humanity has known no greater hypocrite than Microsoft. Let's no even get
    started on Microsoft's stance on patents.