    one, for example:

    From: Karl Rhodes
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
    Subject: Vista machine chokes network traffic and prevents XP
    machines from browsing internet.
    Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:48:14 -0700

    Hi all...

    I've had a scout around the web for the solution to this but
    can't even find any mention of it, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

    I have 5 pc's at home. 4 are running Windows XP and 1 is running
    Windows Vista Ultimate. I have disbaled IPV6 on the vista machine
    and have manually set the tcp/ip settings on all the machines so
    that they all sit nicely within the same subnet mask within the
    192.168.3. ip address range. Each machine has it's DNS servers
    settings set to my ISPs dns servers, and the gateway set to my
    router's IP address (192.168.3.1) The router is a Draytek Vigor
    2600g with the firmware 2.5.9_UK2 installed.

    Until recently everything was ticking along nicely, then for some
    reason one of these pcs started to have problems connecting to
    the internet. I was completely baffled as to why because no
    changes had been made to the network settings of this machine. I
    wondered if there was a network card issue which wasn't showing
    itself anywhere else, so decided to rebuild a test box that had
    Windows Server 2003 on it with a fresh install of Windows XP.
    Once the OS was installed, I installed Office 2003 pro, did all
    the updates (I had to turn off the vista machine to get this done!)

    Once all the updates were installed on the new XP machine I setup
    the email and tested browsing and everything worked fine. I
    turned on the vista machine and almost immediately the XP
    connection began to choke. I thought maybe a background process
    must be doing something over the local network, but nothing
    seemed to be happening.

    If anyone has any suggestion as to what I could try to fix this,
    or if they have had the same issues themselves and have managed
    to fix it, please let me know.

    Thanks
    Time for some to put away the toys and give Linux a try ....

    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Windows Vista Borks XP Network

    On Oct 6, 5:46 am, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:
    > Thanks to a comment spamming, nym-shifting cross post troll
    > responding to one of my posts, I had my first visits to a Windows
    > Vista Usenet site.
    >
    > There appears to be a lot of unhappy campers out there. Here is
    > one, for example:
    >

    > From: Karl Rhodes
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
    > Subject: Vista machine chokes network traffic and prevents XP
    > machines from browsing internet.
    > Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:48:14 -0700
    >
    > Hi all...
    >
    > I've had a scout around the web for the solution to this but
    > can't even find any mention of it, so I thought I'd try my luck here.
    >
    > I have 5 pc's at home. 4 are running Windows XP and 1 is running
    > Windows Vista Ultimate. I have disbaled IPV6 on the vista machine
    > and have manually set the tcp/ip settings on all the machines so
    > that they all sit nicely within the same subnet mask within the
    > 192.168.3. ip address range. Each machine has it's DNS servers
    > settings set to my ISPs dns servers, and the gateway set to my
    > router's IP address (192.168.3.1) The router is a Draytek Vigor
    > 2600g with the firmware 2.5.9_UK2 installed.
    >
    > Until recently everything was ticking along nicely, then for some
    > reason one of these pcs started to have problems connecting to
    > the internet. I was completely baffled as to why because no
    > changes had been made to the network settings of this machine. I
    > wondered if there was a network card issue which wasn't showing
    > itself anywhere else, so decided to rebuild a test box that had
    > Windows Server 2003 on it with a fresh install of Windows XP.
    > Once the OS was installed, I installed Office 2003 pro, did all
    > the updates (I had to turn off the vista machine to get this done!)
    >
    > Once all the updates were installed on the new XP machine I setup
    > the email and tested browsing and everything worked fine. I
    > turned on the vista machine and almost immediately the XP
    > connection began to choke. I thought maybe a background process
    > must be doing something over the local network, but nothing
    > seemed to be happening.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestion as to what I could try to fix this,
    > or if they have had the same issues themselves and have managed
    > to fix it, please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Time for some to put away the toys and give Linux a try ....
    >
    > --
    > HPT

    The troll, who loves to hit you for nym shifting, has appeared in the
    last month under the names

    Barb Dwyer, Warren Piece, Ms. Polly Ester, Sir Michael Clayton, Judge
    Dredd, Captain Commando, Mr. Doug Hoel, Sgt. Wannacker
    SgtMajor Gansevoort, Cpl Kronk, Lt. Stardust, Professor Dungby, Ofc.
    Michael Clayton.

    And this is not complete, even for the last month. And the list
    continues, back into the murky past.

  3. Re: Windows Vista Borks XP Network

    nessuno wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks to a comment spamming, nym-shifting cross post troll
    >> responding to one of my posts, I had my first visits to a
    >> Windows Vista Usenet site.
    >>
    >> There appears to be a lot of unhappy campers out there.
    >> Here is one, for example:
    >>

    >> Once all the updates were installed on the new XP machine I
    >> setup the email and tested browsing and everything worked
    >> fine. I turned on the vista machine and almost immediately
    >> the XP connection began to choke. I thought maybe a
    >> background process must be doing something over the local
    >> network, but nothing seemed to be happening.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any suggestion as to what I could try to fix
    >> this, or if they have had the same issues themselves and
    >> have managed to fix it, please let me know.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >> Time for some to put away the toys and give Linux a try ....

    > The troll, who loves to hit you for nym shifting, has appeared
    > in the last month under the names
    >
    > Barb Dwyer, Warren Piece, Ms. Polly Ester, Sir Michael
    > Clayton, Judge Dredd, Captain Commando, Mr. Doug Hoel, Sgt.
    > Wannacker SgtMajor Gansevoort, Cpl Kronk, Lt. Stardust,
    > Professor Dungby, Ofc. Michael Clayton.
    >
    > And this is not complete, even for the last month. And the
    > list continues, back into the murky past.

    There is a lot of hypocrisy out there in trolldome. That troll
    you mention cannot keep the same nym for any length of time. It
    feels it must shift to avoid kill filters, to the extent it has
    given Teranews a bad rap. Not all posters from Teranews are bad.

    It has a phobia about Linux succeeding, which it is. Since it
    cannot refute the truth, it and other trolls are then attacking
    posters. It is a sad reality that some people cannot carry on a
    decent, civilised normal conversation and illustrate normal,
    healthy, humane behaviour.

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: Linux - Networking so borked that nothing works

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message

    Can't get on internet with Netgear NIC

    Ok guys today I finally got another computer from a friend and i've
    installed ubuntu on it and i can't seem to get online.

    I've already talked to my linux buddy and he also can't seem to help me get
    online.

    Sadly this new computer doesn't have an onboard motherboard eithernet port
    so it is much harder for ubuntu to make drivers for it.

    Although i have a Netgear card inside and it still can't seem to work. We've
    gone through many things and it just doesn't work. I would like much if
    someone can help me out.

  5. Re: Linux - Networking so borked that nothing works

    Gordon Glover wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote...

    > Can't get on internet with Netgear NIC
    > Ok guys today I finally got another computer from a friend and
    > i've installed ubuntu on it and i can't seem to get online.
    >
    > I've already talked to my linux buddy and he also can't seem
    > to help me get online.
    >
    > Sadly this new computer doesn't have an onboard motherboard
    > eithernet port so it is much harder for ubuntu to make drivers
    > for it.
    >
    > Although i have a Netgear card inside and it still can't seem
    > to work. We've gone through many things and it just doesn't
    > work. I would like much if someone can help me out.

    There's nothing wrong with Linux networking. Some Netgear
    products have a history of problems:

    http://www.buy.com/prod/netgear-fa31...-network-card-
    10-100bt-pci/q/loc/101/10249482.html

    or http://tinyurl.com/2twndu

    Netgear FA311 - Ethernet Network Card - 10/100BT PCI

    CUSTOMER REVIEWS:

    2 of 5 Not for Linux Wednesday, April 10, 2002
    Chris N. from Durham, NC

    If your purchasing this card to go into a Red Hat Linux 7.0 or
    7.1 instalation, keep looking. This card works great in a Win
    machine. I actually have it in my Win 2k box. But as for Red Hat
    7.0 and 7.1 its hopeless. The net is scoured with people having
    problems trying to get this card recognized. Netgear even has
    drivers and instructions on installing this card in a Red Hat
    instalation but they dont work for 90% of the people from what
    Ive read on forums. It may work great for you, but I wouldnt risk it.
    However, not to worry. The following assessment, as EU continues
    to ensure fair and open competition will free up a lot of
    hardware as well as spawn software growth on Linux:

    http://www.siia.net/press/releases/govt_09_17_2007.pdf

    Statement of the Software & Information Industry Association
    (SIIA) On Today's Judgement by the European Court of First Instance

    /Washington, DC (Septement 17, 2007)/ - Following today's
    judgment by the Court of First Instance (CFI) in Luxembourg,
    confirming in large part the conclusions of the European
    Commission in March 2004 that Microsoft violated competition
    laws, Ken Wasch, President of the Software and Information
    Industry Association (SIIA), issued the following statement:

    "Today's judgment by the European appeals court is a victory for
    innovators and consumers everywhere. With this action, the only
    option left for Microsoft is to immediately cooperate and fulfill
    the requirements of the March 2004 Decision."

    More than three years ago, the Commission found through an opena
    and transparent process that Microsoft had abused its dominant
    position. Almost three years ago, the European Court of First
    Instance rejected Microsoft's request to have the Decision
    suspended pending resolution of its appeal.

    "After one of the most thorough investigations in the history of
    competition law, spanning over 7 years, the Commission has taken
    a steady and decisive course. We applaud the leadership and
    persistence of the European Commission, Commissioner Kroes,
    former Commissioner Monti and their officials," Wasch continued.

  6. Re: Linux - Networking so borked that nothing works

    Gordon Glover wrote:

    > Sadly

    *plonk*

+ Reply to Thread