Can't beat MS? Lie about them. - Linux

This is a discussion on Can't beat MS? Lie about them. - Linux ; That's cola's tactic. That's Roy [H]omer Kent's tactic. And that's PC Pro magazine's tactic. Here they claim Microsoft "regrets" the patent deals it made with Novell, Linspire and Xandros: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...l-tactics.html But when you read the article, you find out the ...

  1. Can't beat MS? Lie about them.

    That's cola's tactic. That's Roy [H]omer Kent's tactic.

    And that's PC Pro magazine's tactic. Here they claim Microsoft "regrets"
    the patent deals it made with Novell, Linspire and Xandros:

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...l-tactics.html

    But when you read the article, you find out the "regret" is just unfounded
    speculation by one businessman (CEO of Alfresco) looking to make a buck by
    exploiting the open source "community".

  2. Re: Can't beat MS? Lie about them.

    On Oct 6, 4:44 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > That's cola's tactic. That's Roy [H]omer Kent's tactic.
    >
    > And that's PC Pro magazine's tactic. Here they claim Microsoft "regrets"
    > the patent deals it made with Novell, Linspire and Xandros:
    >
    > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...tent-deal-tact...
    >
    > But when you read the article, you find out the "regret" is just unfounded
    > speculation by one businessman (CEO of Alfresco) looking to make a buck by
    > exploiting the open source "community".

    So, you're talking about a CEO in a magazine called PC Pro, and
    somehow this has something to do with COLA...or what?

  3. Re: Can't beat MS? Lie about them.

    DFS wrote:

    > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...l-tactics.html
    >
    > But when you read the article, you find out the "regret" is
    > just unfounded speculation by one businessman (CEO of
    > Alfresco) looking to make a buck by exploiting the open source
    > "community".

    Unfounded? Article states,

    "[Microsoft] says it has 100 patents but it never identifies the
    patents. Is it not identifying the patents because it's not proud
    of them? Because it knows they're not valuable?" asks Jerry
    Rosenthal, CEO of the Open Invention Network, a group formed to
    protect Linux's interests by acquiring related patents.

    "What we're saying is 'show us the patents' and if it's a real
    problem we'll work around them," adds Mark Taylor, president of
    the Open Source Consortium, a non-profit organisation
    representing open-source software firms in Europe. "It's just FUD
    [fear, uncertainty, doubt], it's just smoke and mirrors."
    --
    HPT

  4. Re: Can't beat MS? Lie about them.

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...l-tactics.html
    >>
    >> But when you read the article, you find out the "regret" is
    >> just unfounded speculation by one businessman (CEO of
    >> Alfresco) looking to make a buck by exploiting the open source
    >> "community".

    > Unfounded? Article states,
    >

    > "[Microsoft] says it has 100 patents but it never identifies the
    > patents. Is it not identifying the patents because it's not proud
    > of them? Because it knows they're not valuable?" asks Jerry
    > Rosenthal, CEO of the Open Invention Network, a group formed to
    > protect Linux's interests by acquiring related patents.
    >
    > "What we're saying is 'show us the patents' and if it's a real
    > problem we'll work around them," adds Mark Taylor, president of
    > the Open Source Consortium, a non-profit organisation
    > representing open-source software firms in Europe. "It's just FUD
    > [fear, uncertainty, doubt], it's just smoke and mirrors."

    None of that in any way supports the author's lie that Microsoft regrets
    anything. It's all just speculation by another MS-hater.

  5. Re: Can't beat MS? Lie about them.

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...l-tactics.html
    >>>
    >>> But when you read the article, you find out the "regret"
    >>> is just unfounded speculation by one businessman (CEO of
    >>> Alfresco) looking to make a buck by exploiting the open
    >>> source "community".

    >> Unfounded? Article states,

    "[Microsoft] says it has 100 patents but it never
    >> identifies the patents. Is it not identifying the patents
    >> because it's not proud of them? Because it knows they're not
    >> valuable?" asks Jerry Rosenthal, CEO of the Open Invention
    >> Network, a group formed to protect Linux's interests by
    >> acquiring related patents.
    >>
    >> "What we're saying is 'show us the patents' and if it's a
    >> real problem we'll work around them," adds Mark Taylor,
    >> president of the Open Source Consortium, a non-profit
    >> organisation representing open-source software firms in
    >> Europe. "It's just FUD [fear, uncertainty, doubt], it's just
    >> smoke and mirrors."

    > None of that in any way supports the author's lie that
    > Microsoft regrets anything. It's all just speculation by
    > another MS-hater.

    Oh, you mean lies like:

    http://www.siia.net/press/releases/govt_09_17_2007.pdf

    Statement of the Software & Information Industry Association
    (SIIA) On Today's Judgement by the European Court of First Instance

    /Washington, DC (Septement 17, 2007)/ - Following today's
    judgment by the Court of First Instance (CFI) in Luxembourg,
    confirming in large part the conclusions of the European
    Commission in March 2004 that Microsoft violated competition
    laws, Ken Wasch, President of the Software and Information
    Industry Association (SIIA), issued the following statement:

    "Today's judgment by the European appeals court is a victory for
    innovators and consumers everywhere. With this action, the only
    option left for Microsoft is to immediately cooperate and fulfill
    the requirements of the March 2004 Decision."

    More than three years ago, the Commission found through an opena
    and transparent process that Microsoft had abused its dominant
    position. Almost three years ago, the European Court of First
    Instance rejected Microsoft's request to have the Decision
    suspended pending resolution of its appeal.

    "After one of the most thorough investigations in the history of
    competition law, spanning over 7 years, the Commission has taken
    a steady and decisive course. We applaud the leadership and
    persistence of the European Commission, Commissioner Kroes,
    former Commissioner Monti and their officials," Wasch continued.
    Never mind regrets. Such a history is shameful, indeed.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread