    From: "AlanHo"
    Subject: Vista Desktop Icons Randomly Change
    Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:03:15 +0100
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

    I have added a number of document or website link shortcut icons
    to my Vista computer desktop - some are in folders containing a
    group of shortcuts.

    I have changed the folder and shortcut icons from the standard
    explorer icon to more meaningful ones stored on my hard drive as
    icon files.

    However - for no apparent reason - certain icons randomly revert
    to the explorer icon. Particularly those stored in a desktop
    folder. Right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Refresh" has
    no effect. After a reboot - the icons may - or may not - correct
    themselves. It is worth noting that it is only the icons I have
    allocated that randomly change and it is not always the same
    ones. Icons associated with programmes seem to be OK. (Word,
    Excel, Acronis, Nero etc)

    If I right click on the faulty ones the heading of the web
    document tab still shows the correct icon but I have to go
    through the procedure of changing the icon all over again to get
    the specific icon back on the desktop.

    A couple of weeks ago (for other reasons) I had to do a reformat
    of my C: drive and do a clean installation of Vista Ultimate. I
    hoped that this would result in the icon problem being resolved -
    but it is back again.

    I have searched the Microsoft knowledge base in vain.
    My Ubuntu icons work just fine, whether they be in KDE, GNOME or
    Beryl 3D.

    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Linux - User formats hard drive to fix network problems

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message

    in july i had ubuntu with internet working with the same card(that time the
    card worked out of box for me ),then i had to format my hard disk due to
    some reasons ....but wen i reinstalled feisty again ,it is not detecting my
    network card .

  3. Re: Linux - User formats hard drive to fix network problems

    Gordon Glover wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote...

    > in july i had ubuntu with internet working with the same
    > card(that time the card worked out of box for me ),then i had
    > to format my hard disk due to some reasons ....but wen i
    > reinstalled feisty again ,it is not detecting my network card

    Isn't it great, that a noob is having a decent dialogue on a
    problem with a hardware issue and getting help? Nothing wrong there.

    I thought you were simply adorable posting as petite Ms. Barb
    Dwyer. Did you have a run in your stocking that you needed to
    nym-shift as Gordon Glover, AKA

    1st Lt Jean Poole
    Barb Dwyer
    Capt. James Pike
    Capt. Morgan
    Captain Commando
    Colonel Ichabod Conk
    Cpl. Kronk
    Dr Gang Green
    Dr. Disco
    Dr. Fafoofnik
    Dr. Feelgood
    Dr. GroundAxe
    Dr. Hungwell
    Dr. Hurt
    Dr. Livingston
    Dr. McGillicudy
    Dr. Pain
    Dr. Seymour Butts
    Dr. Shlongwell
    Dr. Shlongwell (aka your Boss)
    Dr. Smooth
    Dr. Zhivago
    Lintard Luser
    Lt. Stardust
    Mr. X
    Ms. Polly Ester
    Ofc. Michael Clayton
    rafael (note the nym-thief couldn't even leave poor Rafael alone)
    Sgt. Wannacker
    SgtMajor Gansevoort
    Sir Michael Clayton?

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: Linux - User formats hard drive to fix network problems

    How about some proof of your claims?
    BTW your shills don't count.

    --

    John King
    beerking59@oohay.com

  5. Re: Linux - User formats hard drive to fix network problems

    John King wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> I thought you were simply adorable posting as petite Ms.
    >> Barb Dwyer. Did you have a run in your stocking that you
    >> needed to nym-shift as Gordon Glover, AKA
    >>
    >> 1st Lt Jean Poole Barb Dwyer

    > How about some proof of your claims? BTW your shills don't
    > count.

    Where is your proof of my shilling, Meat Plow?

    --
    HPT
    Just say, "No" to trolls

+ Reply to Thread