Open source wins another day in court

,----[ Quote ]
| The reason I was disappointed was the validation of the RIAA’s strategy,
| which goes well beyond education and pursuit of egregious offenders and
| burdens privacy, Internet service providers and others. When I was writing
| about the SCO Group’s claims and lawsuits against big Linux users in 2004,
| there were parallels to what the RIAA was doing.
|
| [...]
|
| Would it mean that broad, vague claims could be brought against a wide swath
| of individual consumers to make them face the full force of a company’s legal
| maneuvering and extreme financial penalties in the courts? Could this
| embolden Microsoft to consider the upside of such a strategy against open
| source users?
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...-day-in-court/

Microsoft "regrets patent deal" tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| There'll be a continuing spread of FUD as it tries to make customers nervous.
| Open source is a genuine competitor now and it's found a tactic to deal with
| that competitor, but I think the threat is diminishing."
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127079/m...l-tactics.html

Regret? Pretending to want peace after doing the damage (not just to Linux, but
also to their own reputation and image)?

Related:

Linux group calls Microsoft's bluff

,----[ Quote ]
| OIN chief executive Jerry Rosenthal told vnunet.com that Microsoft's
| assertions are simply an attempt to undermine the open source movement.
|
| Rosenthal added that it is time for Microsoft to reveal the patents that are
| supposedly being infringed, or to drop the claims.
|
| "The FUD is clear. If you have a patent that you are proud of, then disclose
| it," he said.
|
| [...]
|
| Mark Taylor, president of the Open Source Consortium, agreed with Rosenthal
| and described Microsoft's tactics in damning terms.
|
| "We say show us the patents," he told vnunet.com. "This has been the strategy
| against open source all along. It's precisely the same tactics as SCO used:
| implied threats and mafia techniques. This is just FUD. It's smoke and
| mirrors. " *
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...icrosoft-bluff

Microsoft too busy to name Linux patents

,----[ Quote ]
| * * First you get everyone riled claiming open source and Linux infringe on
| * * your patents, then you won’t detail those patents. Why? The paperwork.
|
| * * Yes, Microsoft cited administrative overhead for not detailing the 235
| * * Microsoft patents its chief legal counsel recently told Forbes exist in
| * * Linux and open source. *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...ovell_patents/

Shuttleworth: Microsoft Fracturing the Open-Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| "That's extortion and we should call it what it is," he said. "To say, as
| [Microsoft CEO Steve] Ballmer did, that there is undisclosed balance sheet
| liability, that's just extortion and we should refuse to get drawn into that
| game. On the other side, if Microsoft is concerned about its intellectual
| property, there is no one in the free software community that wants to
| violate anyone's IP. Disclose the patents and we'll fix the code.
| Alternatively, move on." * * *
|
| Microsoft has said it does disclose which patents are being violated, but
| only in one-on-one conversations with vendors. To Shuttleworth, that is not
| disclosure, because patents are public documents. *
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

[Mark Shuttleworth Interview]

,----[ Quote ]