The Inevitable March of Recorded Music Towards Free

,----[ Quote ]
| 2007 is turning out to be a terrible year for the music industry. Or rather,
| a terrible year for the the music labels.
| [...]
| The price of music will likely not fall in the near term to absolutely zero.
| Charging any price at all requires the use of credit cards and their minimum
| fees of $0.20 or more per transaction, for example. And services like iTunes
| and Amazon can continue to charge something for quality of service. With P2P
| networks you don’t really know what you are getting until you download it. It
| could, for example, be a virus. Or a poor quality copy. Many users will be
| willing to pay to avoid those hassles. But as long as BitTorrent exists, or
| simple music search engines like Skreemr allow users to find and download
| virtually any song in seconds, they won’t be able to charge much.

Look at Symantec clinging onto trademarks. Like Photoshop, Google, and even

Symantec asks G4L to stop infringing on Ghost name

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael D. Setzer II, the leader of the project once known as Ghost for Linux
| (G4L), recently received a cease and desist email message from a lawyer
| representing Symantec. The company is demanding that the project change its
| name because the use of "Ghost" violates a trademark held by Symantec for its
| Norton Ghost disk imaging software.

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.

The slow death of DRM

,----[ Headings ]
| * A disaster of historical proportions
| * Consumer litigation against DRM
| * Digital growth is flagging
| * Pressure to dump DRM

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

..----[ Quote ]