Vista and Borked Webcam - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista and Borked Webcam - Linux ; I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another complaint about Vista. COLA trolls must be in denial. > From: "montygirl" > Subject: vista and webcam > Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 00:13:49 -0600 > Message-ID: > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16480 ...

  1. Vista and Borked Webcam

    I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another
    complaint about Vista. COLA trolls must be in denial.

    > From: "montygirl"
    > Subject: vista and webcam
    > Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 00:13:49 -0600
    >
    > I bought an HP laptop that came with an installed webcam. When I
    > upgraded to Vista, my webcam no longer worked. I can't even find the
    > location to turn it on. If I do the webcam demo, it still works. I went
    > to HP drivers and loaded the new driver and it still doesn't work. Any
    > suggestions?

    My suggestion? Time to look for another operating system like Linux.

    I enjoy Beryl in Ubuntu. I don't need to upgrade my hardware to make 3D
    desktop work. My Ubuntu lets me know about security updates on a regular
    basis, when they are available. Unless its a kernel patch, I don't have to
    reboot. It simply works.

    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Linux and Borked Printer

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another
    > complaint about Vista. COLA trolls must be in denial.

    COLA trolls must be in denial. I like how setting up a printer is as easy as
    typing this in the command line:

    -- "# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E"

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=printer

    [quote]
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new in the world of linux and ubuntu.
    I've got a problem with configuring my laser printer canon LBP2900.
    I've already found the drivers at the canon web-site (they say they tested
    them on a RedHat and on SuSE). When I try to register the printer (PPD) with
    the spooler by means of the command:

    # /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E

    I receive the answer:

    lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible

    Is there someone who can give me some help?
    Cosimo

    [-quote]

  3. Re: Linux and Borked Printer

    Gordon Glover wrote:

    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >>I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another
    >> complaint about Vista. COLA trolls must be in denial.
    >>

    > COLA trolls must be in denial. I like how setting up a printer is as easy
    > as typing this in the command line:
    >
    > -- "# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    > ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E"
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=printer
    >
    > [quote]
    > Hi everyone!
    > I'm new in the world of linux and ubuntu.
    > I've got a problem with configuring my laser printer canon LBP2900.
    > I've already found the drivers at the canon web-site (they say they tested
    > them on a RedHat and on SuSE). When I try to register the printer (PPD)
    > with the spooler by means of the command:
    >
    > # /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    > ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E
    >
    > I receive the answer:
    >
    > lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible
    >
    > Is there someone who can give me some help?
    > Cosimo
    >
    > [-quote]

    Funny, my printer was recognised when I plugged it in. I just had to click
    on the printer icon to set it up.

    If you want to start bashing Linux, printing is not the place to do it. In
    fact, these days it is hard to find a place to do it.

    Ian

  4. Re: Linux and Borked Printer

    Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > Gordon Glover wrote:
    >
    >> "High Plains Thumper" wrote...
    >>
    >>> I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another
    >>> complaint about Vista. COLA trolls must be in denial.

    >> COLA trolls must be in denial. I like how setting up a printer is as
    >> easy as typing this in the command line:
    >>
    >> -- "# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    >> ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E"
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=printer
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> Hi everyone! I'm new in the world of linux and ubuntu. I've got a
    >> problem with configuring my laser printer canon LBP2900. I've already
    >> found the drivers at the canon web-site (they say they tested them on
    >> a RedHat and on SuSE). When I try to register the printer (PPD) with
    >> the spooler by means of the command:
    >>
    >> # /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    >> ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E
    >>
    >> I receive the answer:
    >>
    >> lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible
    >>
    >> Is there someone who can give me some help? Cosimo
    >> [-quote]

    > Funny, my printer was recognised when I plugged it in. I just had to
    > click on the printer icon to set it up.
    >
    > If you want to start bashing Linux, printing is not the place to do it.
    > In fact, these days it is hard to find a place to do it.

    He is 10 years out of date. Yes, now they are autodetected. However, if
    one does it manually, it is:

    +----------------------+----------+
    | Applications Places | *System* |
    +----------------------|-------------------+
    | Preferences >|-------------------------+
    | *Administration* >| GNOME Partition Editor |
    | Keyring Manager |
    | Language Support |
    | Lockdown Editor |
    | Login Window |
    | Network |
    | Network Tools |
    | *Printing* |

    Following window opens:

    | *Printers* [-] [O] [X] |
    |----------------------------------------------------|
    | Printer Edit Global Settings |
    |----------------------------------------------------|
    | .-----. . . |
    | | | / | / | |
    | .---------. / /---, / /---, |
    | | xxxxxxx | | / / | | / / | |
    | +---------+ |/---/ .' |/---/ .' |
    |*New Printer* |____|/ |____|/ |
    | Deskjet-610CL postscript-color |
    | Ready Ready |
    | |

    After clicking on "New Printer" opens:

    | Add a Printer [-] [O] [X] |
    | *Step 1 of 3: Printer Connection* |
    | This assistant helps you set up a printer. |
    | Printer Type:[*] Local or Detected Printer |
    | [ ] Network Printer |
    | |
    | Use a detected printer: |
    | *DESKJET 610C (HP DESKJET 610 C LPT parport0 HPLIP)* |
    | Lexmark 7100 Series (Lexmark 7100 Series USB #1) |
    | PDF Printer (Virtual Printer) |
    | Use another printer by specifying a port: ^ |
    | Printer Port: [HP DESKJET 610C LPT parport0 HPLIP (HP DESKJET 610C)] v |
    | |
    | [X Cancel] [--> Forward] |

    Hmmm .... nothing user unfriendly or command lines about this ....

    Perhaps if he *USED* Linux, he would know ....

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Linux and Borked Printer

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 06 October 2007 11:40 : \____

> [...]

    > | [ ] Network Printer |
    > | |
    > | Use a detected printer: |
    > |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    > | *DESKJET 610C (HP DESKJET 610 C LPT parport0 HPLIP)* |
    > | Lexmark 7100 Series (Lexmark 7100 Series USB #1) |
    > | PDF Printer (Virtual Printer) |
    > |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    > | Use another printer by specifying a port: ^ |
    > | Printer Port: [HP DESKJET 610C LPT parport0 HPLIP (HP DESKJET 610C)] v |
    > | |
    > |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    > | [X Cancel] [--> Forward] |
    > +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >
    > Hmmm .... nothing user unfriendly or command lines about this ....
    >
    > Perhaps if he *USED* Linux, he would know ....

    It's equally easy in KDE (Control Center). done this a month ago.

    Ni discs/floppies/downloads necessary. Linux has become boringly simple.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Is it a stupid sig? Why yes it is!
    Mem: 515500k total, 445248k used, 70252k free, 1736k buffers

  6. Re: Linux and Borked Printer

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Funny, my printer was recognised when I plugged it in. I just had to
    >>> click on the printer icon to set it up.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to start bashing Linux, printing is not the place to do it.
    >>> In fact, these days it is hard to find a place to do it.

    >> He is 10 years out of date. Yes, now they are autodetected. However, if
    >> one does it manually, it is:
    >>
    >> +----------------------+----------+
    >> | Applications Places | *System* |
    >> +----------------------|-------------------+
    >> | Preferences >|-------------------------+
    >> | *Administration* >| GNOME Partition Editor |

    > | Keyring Manager |
    >> | Language Support |
    >> | Lockdown Editor |
    >> | Login Window |
    >> | Network |
    >> | Network Tools |
    >> | *Printing* |
    >>

    >> Following window opens:
    >>
    >> +----------------------------------------------------+
    >> | *Printers* [-] [O] [X] |
    >> |----------------------------------------------------|
    >> | Printer Edit Global Settings |
    >> |----------------------------------------------------|
    >> | .-----. . . |
    >> | | | / | / | |
    >> | .---------. / /---, / /---, |
    >> | | xxxxxxx | | / / | | / / | |
    >> | +---------+ |/---/ .' |/---/ .' |
    >> |*New Printer* |____|/ |____|/ |
    >> | Deskjet-610CL postscript-color |
    >> | Ready Ready |
    >> | |
    >> +----------------------------------------------------+
    >>
    >> After clicking on "New Printer" opens:
    >>
    >> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >> | Add a Printer [-] [O] [X] |
    >> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    >> | *Step 1 of 3: Printer Connection* |
    >> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    >> | This assistant helps you set up a printer. |
    >> | Printer Type:[*] Local or Detected Printer |
    >> | [ ] Network Printer |
    >> | |
    >> | Use a detected printer: |
    >> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    >> | *DESKJET 610C (HP DESKJET 610 C LPT parport0 HPLIP)* |
    >> | Lexmark 7100 Series (Lexmark 7100 Series USB #1) |
    >> | PDF Printer (Virtual Printer) |
    >> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    >> | Use another printer by specifying a port: ^ |
    >> | Printer Port: [HP DESKJET 610C LPT parport0 HPLIP (HP DESKJET 610C)] v |
    >> | |
    >> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    >> | [X Cancel] [--> Forward] |
    >> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >>
    >> Hmmm .... nothing user unfriendly or command lines about this ....
    >>
    >> Perhaps if he *USED* Linux, he would know ....

    > It's equally easy in KDE (Control Center). done this a month ago.
    >
    > No discs/floppies/downloads necessary. Linux has become boringly simple.

    It has. There is less and less the Wintrolls can refute. The
    door is opening wider. I hope the EU continues to carry out its
    just measures to ensure fair and reasonable competition in the
    market place and to remove the anticompetitive barriers put up by
    Microsoft in the PC OS and applications market.

    There seems to be no end to the incumbent's "Get the FUD"
    campaigns and continued anti-competitive practises. The only way
    to remove barriers is through official government actions.

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: Linux and Borked Printer

    Gordon Glover wrote:

    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >>I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another
    >> complaint about Vista. COLA trolls must be in denial.
    >>

    > COLA trolls must be in denial. I like how setting up a printer is as easy
    > as typing this in the command line:
    >
    > -- "# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    > ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E"
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=printer
    >
    > [quote]
    > Hi everyone!
    > I'm new in the world of linux and ubuntu.
    > I've got a problem with configuring my laser printer canon LBP2900.
    > I've already found the drivers at the canon web-site (they say they tested
    > them on a RedHat and on SuSE). When I try to register the printer (PPD)
    > with the spooler by means of the command:
    >
    > # /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
    > ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E
    >
    > I receive the answer:
    >
    > lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible
    >
    > Is there someone who can give me some help?
    > Cosimo
    >
    > [-quote]

    WTF?????

    Why didn't he just connect to http://localhost:631/ in his web browser and
    graphically configure his printer???

    FFS.. you trolls are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

    BTW... Canon are Microsoft tools... If you want a decent printer (ie one
    that actually works) buy Hewlett-Packard.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power