Can Linux Get a Lift From Eclipse?

,----[ Quote ]
| Eager to shed its reputation as a tool just for Java developers, Eclipse has
| quickly embraced newer languages such as PHP, Python and Ruby—as well as
| older ones like Ada, COBOL and C. But when it comes to enabling native Linux
| development, Eclipse isn’t moving as fast. It’s not uncommon for applications
| originating from Eclipse to target Linux servers...
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...21957,p,0.html

Related:

Building from Source Crucial for Linux to Adopt Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| In the ongoing talk about how the different Linux distros and the Russian
| Academy of Science are starting to make Eclipse the Visual Studio for Linux,
| the Linux guys seem well on their way to making Eclipse the Linux IDE. Ian
| Skerret say the Linux Distros Project has been great catalyst for this and I
| think CDT and the PDT project are helping drive this forward too. * *
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...28750769744438

Linux developers considering move to Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, it was decided to
| start making Eclipse, the open-source development platform, the Visual
| Studio for Linux.
`----

Eclipse Ships Largest-Ever Release of Leading Open Source Software Development
Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Europa features 21 Eclipse projects for software developers and is more
| than double the size of last year's record-setting release.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,129556.shtml

Survey: Windows loses ground with developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux gaining share as the number of developers targeting Windows falls
| 12 percent, Evans Data says
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...s-share_1.html

Developers' use of open source Eclipse doubles

,----[ Quote ]
| The adoption rate of the open source Eclipse integrated development
| environment has more than doubled in the Europe, the Middle East and
| Africa region, industry analysts have revealed.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...se-doubles.htm

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/softw...leID=196600515

Eclipse Is Still Going Strong

,----[ Quote ]
| In the intervening years, the Eclipse open-source development
| platform has grown well beyond the IDE space, branching out into
| areas such as reporting, modeling, AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript
| and XML) development, SOA (service-oriented architecture) tooling,
| RCP (rich-client platform) technology, team development, and
| support for other languages beyond Java.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061107/tc_zd/193207

Eclipse: A Billion-Dollar Baby?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Historically enterprise software has been sold through [a]
| direct salesforce channel. ... We're starting to see success
| in open source software products in areas which have been
| traditionally the realm of the direct salesforce. Those
| environments or those products have very, very low cost of
| sales, so as customers get more used to that, I think that
| over time, there are going to be fewer and fewer software
| salesmen."
`----

Eclipse Adoption on The Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| With the EclipseWorld conference kicking off this week in Boston,
| it would be easy to think the open source Java tools project is
| everywhere.
`----

http://www.devxnews.com/article.php/3630071

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...utor-base.html

Linux Summit: Forget Microsoft. Let's Get Back To Development

,----[ Quote ]
| "We add 2,000 lines of code a day to the Linux kernel. We work on
| 2,800 lines of code a day. I've never seen the pace of change that
| Linux has shown," said kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman, citing
| the accelerated pace on the open source operating system.
`----

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----