does ioctl unblock... - Linux

This is a discussion on does ioctl unblock... - Linux ; Hi all, I'm currently using an ioctl call to get notification on changes in some register. I just want to know (as this may effect my implementation) whether ioctl unblocks when one closes the file descriptor on which the ioctl ...

  1. does ioctl unblock...

    Hi all,

    I'm currently using an ioctl call to get notification on changes
    in some register. I just want to know (as this may effect my
    implementation) whether ioctl unblocks when one closes
    the file descriptor on which the ioctl call is made. Currently
    I'm blocking infinitely (which is what I prefer). I'm aware
    of the fact that one can use select and use another descriptor
    to unblock the original, but currently the driver (over which I
    have no control) has not implemented select properly.

    Regards,

    Werner

  2. Re: does ioctl unblock...

    not sure, implementation dependent.