Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs. - Linux

  1. Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

  2. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Barb Dwyer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...8n3m9zySEjtBAF

    The RIAA, creating criminals since the 1950's.

    The March 4, 2007 FoxTrot strip also satirized the RIAA's lawsuits,
    where Jason tried to teach his iguana Quincy to download music,
    because "it's one thing for them to go after single moms, widows,
    grandmothers, dead people and children... but sue an iguana?! That'd
    be insane!"[68]

  3. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:slrnfgclbv.o62.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Barb Dwyer belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...8n3m9zySEjtBAF

    > The RIAA, creating criminals since the 1950's.
    >
    > The March 4, 2007 FoxTrot strip also satirized the RIAA's lawsuits,
    > where Jason tried to teach his iguana Quincy to download music,
    > because "it's one thing for them to go after single moms, widows,
    > grandmothers, dead people and children... but sue an iguana?! That'd
    > be insane!"[68]

    It's interesting if say his Iguana managed to download some songs. Would he
    still be held responsible?

    Let's look at this a couple of different ways... If I teach my 7 year old
    nephew how to download songs for me, would I be responsible for his actions?
    If I teach a chimp how to download... would I be responsible for the music.
    What if I build a robot that knows how to download songs. Would I be
    responsible for the downloads the robot makes?

    I think the answer to some, probably most, possibly even all of these
    scenarios is YES. I'm the one who enabled and allowed the download to happen
    and I did the training explicitily for the purpose of illegally downloading
    music.

  4. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    Barb Dwyer wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/ap_on_hi_te

    downloading_music;_ylt=AvWP1Sr51b6_3D8n3m9zySEjtBA F

    I think corporations and their umbrella organisations
    such as RIAA$ need to be reigned in.

    Their whole rhetoric is materially harmful to citizens
    around the globe while they themselves don't
    run a clean house of their own; opting out to live
    through immoral earnings.

    Their profits are principally from drug taking artists
    who have to take those thing or become deflated and untalented.
    They need to have random drug tests and remove artists
    and all their songs and albums from the shelves once an
    artist or member of a group is shown to be drug taker.

    Other venues such as sporting athletes, cyclists, body
    builders, runners etc have all had to give up their drugs;
    why not the music 'industry'?

    There are random checks, blood tests and instant bans
    for everyone that fail. The same should apply to drug
    taking artists who produce art through drug taking
    instead of their own natural talents. Any and all artists
    work should be taken off the shelf instantly forever
    whenever an artist is found to be drug taking. The companies
    and RIAA that sponsor these drug taking artists
    should then be held liable for profiteering from immoral
    earnings if they continue to distribute or help promote
    material produced by artists that have been caught with drugs.

  5. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    On 2007-10-05, Barb Dwyer wrote:
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...8n3m9zySEjtBAF

    >> The RIAA, creating criminals since the 1950's.
    >>
    >> The March 4, 2007 FoxTrot strip also satirized the RIAA's lawsuits,
    >> where Jason tried to teach his iguana Quincy to download music,
    >> because "it's one thing for them to go after single moms, widows,
    >> grandmothers, dead people and children... but sue an iguana?! That'd
    >> be insane!"[68]

    > It's interesting if say his Iguana managed to download some songs. Would he
    > still be held responsible?
    >
    > Let's look at this a couple of different ways... If I teach my 7 year old
    > nephew how to download songs for me, would I be responsible for his actions?
    > If I teach a chimp how to download... would I be responsible for the music.
    > What if I build a robot that knows how to download songs. Would I be
    > responsible for the downloads the robot makes?

    Note, though, that this isn't really analogous to the case in question,
    as the lady was the one who had the Kazaa account.

  6. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Barb Dwyer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > I think the answer to some, probably most, possibly even all of these
    > scenarios is YES. I'm the one who enabled and allowed the download to happen
    > and I did the training explicitily for the purpose of illegally downloading
    > music.

    Has anybody actually been prosecuted for simply /downloading/ the music?

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:29:14 -0400, Barb Dwyer wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...8n3m9zySEjtBAF

    Either no one on that jury had the sense promised a doorknob, or I'd like
    to know who paid them off and in what form.

    I've been reading http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com and
    http://www.arstechnica.com specifically to get this kind of information.

    There is/was no case; RIAA pulled some shenanigans which might have been
    innocent, but perhaps not; most case law from around the continent on the
    subject has been going against RIAA; and their so-called investigative
    technique just isn't up to the job they're using it for.

  8. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    On 2007-10-06, M. Trimble wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:29:14 -0400, Barb Dwyer wrote:
    >

    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...8n3m9zySEjtBAF

    This woman essentially got punished for nothing more
    than having Kazaa on her machine. I'm not even sure that that
    was adequately established.

    > Either no one on that jury had the sense promised a doorknob, or I'd like
    > to know who paid them off and in what form.

    It's a jury. Both sides do their best to ensure that
    nobody has any mental capacity, any capacity for independent
    thought, or any clue.

    It's way past time jury pools were completely random.

    No Vor Dire... nothing.

    > I've been reading http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com and
    > http://www.arstechnica.com specifically to get this kind of information.
    >
    > There is/was no case; RIAA pulled some shenanigans which might have been
    > innocent, but perhaps not; most case law from around the continent on the
    > subject has been going against RIAA; and their so-called investigative
    > technique just isn't up to the job they're using it for.

    --
    Oracle... can't live with it... |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Re: Women fined $220,000 for downloading 24 songs.

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2007-10-06, M. Trimble wrote:
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:29:14 -0400, Barb Dwyer wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/...8n3m9zySEjtBAF

    > This woman essentially got punished for nothing more
    > than having Kazaa on her machine. I'm not even sure that that
    > was adequately established.

    She was punished for allowing thousands of uploads from her machine.
    She wasn't punished for downloading anything.

    P2P is a problem if you supply content but not if you only leech in many
    countries including the UK.

    Its fairly obvious how P2P works but some users do need better instructions
    if they are to avoid problems.

    Anyway this has nowt to do with any OS so why is it here?

+ Reply to Thread