[News] Linspire's KlikIt Community Expands - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linspire's KlikIt Community Expands - Linux ; The Little Engine That Could ,----[ Quote ] | I was as upset about this deal as many others were. I even had a phone call | with Kevin Carmony regarding the matter. | | Well, at one point on ...

  1. [News] Linspire's KlikIt Community Expands

    The Little Engine That Could

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I was as upset about this deal as many others were. I even had a phone call
    | with Kevin Carmony regarding the matter.
    |
    | Well, at one point on the forums, Kevin Carmony told some upset members that
    | if they did not like the way things were, they can start their own distro and
    | see how it goes. So, former Freespire Leadership Board member Chris Medico
    | assembled a team, of which I was honored to be asked to be a part of, which
    | he lovingly calls Freedom Force. Within weeks, this new project, based on
    | Kubuntu, had an Alpha. The project is called KlikIt Linux.
    |
    | We decided community is as important, if not more important, than technology.
    |
    | Anyway, within a short time our community grew to 50, then 100, then more. It
    | has not grown by us marketing. It has been organic word of mouth in Microsoft
    | Software forums, Xandros Foums, Linspire, PCLOS, Mint, Kubuntu, etc. The word
    | keeps spreading, people like it, and they like the community.
    `----

    http://www.marcelgagne.com/node/529

    Related:

    Tomorrow GPLv3 is Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mr. Carmony asked a question, will Linux split in two factions? The answer
    | is no. Some Linux distros will limp along a while and then die off,
    | because they misunderstood what folks want when they choose GNU/Linux
    | and FOSS. You can see that already. Red Hat, which refused to sign any
    | such deal, is flourishing, for example. It's not about code that "just
    | works". Apple offers that already. It's the freedom. And we've proven
    | willing to put up with some temporary frustration in order to get it.
    | In time, FOSS will win, and all those proprietary codecs and everything
    | else will be made available on pleasanter terms, because market share
    | does that.
    `----

    Linspire Announces Availability of Open XML Translator for Linspire, Freespire

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linspire, Inc., developer of the Linspire commercial and Freespire community
    | desktop Linux operating systems, today announced the immediate availability
    | of the Open XML Translator within their latest released Freespire and
    | Linspire products. *
    `----

    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...10-26-NW-DT-MS

    Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Will Shuttleworth continue to collaborate with a company which has now
    | caved in to a protection racket? Or will he do stick to the principle
    | behind the whole FOSS movement and walk away from the deal? We're watching
    | and waiting, Mark. *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Linspire's KlikIt Community Expands

    > | Well, at one point on the forums, Kevin Carmony told some upset
    > | members that if they did not like the way things were, they can
    > | start their own distro and see how it goes.

    And the moral of the story is, never tell Free Software advocates
    "if you don't like it, then do it yourself", because they can,
    and they will.

    Good for them.

    http://www.klikit.org/ (with screenshots)

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    11:33:35 up 57 days, 10:28, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.03

+ Reply to Thread