Microsoft to Patch Windows, Word Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. will release critical patches for its Windows and Word
| software next Tuesday as part of its monthly release of security patches.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/138097

Microsoft to issue seven patches on Tuesday

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of this month's Patch Tuesday, coming next week, Microsoft plans to
| release seven patches, four rated "critical" and three "important."
`---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...s_for_october/

Consequence include huge financial losses that everyone pays for, e.g.:

And now for something completely different: Good news on spam

,----[ Quote ]
| A single spam campaign can cause stock prices and trading volume to spike, as
| was the case in mid-December, when mass email touting Apparel Manufacturing
| Associates (Ticker: APPM) caused the shares to soar from six cents to 45
| cents in five days. The number of shares trading hands rose as much as
| 138-fold.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._gets_results/

Retailers, creditors clash on security

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest recent retail data breach involved TJX Cos., the Framingham,
| Mass.-based discount retailer, which said early this year that information
| from at least 45 million customer credit and debit cards had been exposed to
| potential fraud.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071004/..._data_security

This Wi-Fi issue had hints of Windows at the time (see links below).

Related:

Details of the largest breach of customer data are starting to come to light.

,----[ Quote ]
| "The people who started the breach opened up the back of those terminals and
| used USB drives to load software onto those terminals," says the source. In a
| March filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission,TJX acknowledged
| finding "suspicious software" on its computer systems. *
|
| The USB drives contained a utility program that let the intruder or intruders
| take control of these computer kiosks and turn them into remote terminals
| that connected into TJX's networks, according to the source. The firewalls on
| TJX's main network weren't set to defend against malicious traffic coming
| from the kiosks, the source says. Typically, the USB drives in the computer
| kiosks are used to plug in mice or printers. The kiosks "shouldn't have been
| on the corporate LAN, and the USB ports should have been disabled," the
| source says. * * *
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/share...leID=201400171

Update -- TJX Reveals Extent Of Hacker Damage

,----[ Quote ]
| In Wednesday's filing, TJX said for the first time that it first learned
| that there was suspicious software on its computer system on Dec. 18, 2006.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/29/tjx...rtner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/38tyyq

Is Vista stupid (or is it me)?

,----[ Quote ]
| XP was smarter than this. So I ask again: Is Vista stupid or is it me?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Orchant/?p=521

USB flash drive worm arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiarVB-A worm hunts for removable drives such as floppy disks and
| USB memory sticks and then creates a hidden file called autorun.inf to
| ensure a copy of the worm is run the next time it is connected to a
| Windows PC.
`----

Hackers debut malware loaded USB ruse

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware purveyors deliberately left USB sticks loaded with a Trojan
| in a London car park in a bid to trick users into getting infected.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/25/usb_malware/

Security Experts Warn of a Worm Creeping into PCs Via USB Ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Experts at MicroWorld Technologies has warned of increased
| occurrences of a Worm with Trojan potentials, which has been
| infecting Enterprise systems and home PCs for the past two weeks.
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/s...via-usb-ports/

Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10...re_mp3_recall/

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently discovered that a small number - less
| than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase
| after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer
| carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known
| virus affects only Windows computers...
`----

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

Apple blames Windows for iPod virus

,----[ Quote ]
| "As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy
| against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not
| catching it," they wrote.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061017/1361931.html?.v=1

Analysis: Vista's Ready Boost is no match for RAM

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a new way to enhance your cache in Vista - simply plug in
| your Flash memory stick. But how much performance gain can you
| really expect? TG Daily ran an average PC through a benchmark
| parcours and discovered that the old rules still apply: There
| is no substitute for an adequate amount of system memory. Period.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/08...a_ready_boost/

Windows ReadyBoost Doesn't Deliver

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't know if this is a problem with Vista or the drive, but it is
| annoying to have to check to see if it off and then turn it back on
| again. Sometimes the disk space is used after ReadyBoost is off,
| forcing me to format the flash drive again before turning it back on.
`----

http://www.omahablogger.com/2007/06/...nt_deliver.htm

Vista, iTunes and ReadyBoost do not play well

,----[ Quote ]
| The only solution for the problem is to unplug your ReadyBoost drive, close
| and restart iTunes and then play back your video normally. I have
| replicated this no less than 30 times on my laptop with a ReadyBoost
| drive plugged in. Unplugging the drive never fails to fix the problem
| and plugging it in never fails to cause the problem.
`----

http://vista.blorge.com/2007/04/16/v...not-play-well/

Microsft Vista's ReadyBoost: Is worth the hype??

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techreckoner.com/microsft-vis...orth-the-hype/