[News] Up to 50 Million Microsoft Windows PCs OWN3D by Just ONE Zombie Network - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Up to 50 Million Microsoft Windows PCs OWN3D by Just ONE Zombie Network - Linux ; Gathering 'Storm' Superworm Poses Grave Threat to PC Nets ,----[ Quote ] | Although it's most commonly called a worm, Storm is really more: a worm, a | Trojan horse and a bot all rolled into one. It's also the ...

  1. [News] Up to 50 Million Microsoft Windows PCs OWN3D by Just ONE Zombie Network

    Gathering 'Storm' Superworm Poses Grave Threat to PC Nets

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although it's most commonly called a worm, Storm is really more: a worm, a
    | Trojan horse and a bot all rolled into one. It's also the most successful
    | example we have of a new breed of worm, and I've seen estimates that between
    | 1 million and 50 million computers have been infected worldwide.
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_1004

    The end of Windows, or a security expert gives up

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And then go and warn others to do the same. Windows is defeated - its days
    | are over. It carries the worm inside. So whatever will happen next: RIP,
    | Windows.
    `----

    http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=456

    Here is a response to that latest Linux FUD

    Linux phishing botnet statistics can be deceptive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are some problems with such assumptions based on that statement,
    | however:
    |
    | 1. Each phishing site does not necessarily imply an individual machine...
    | 2. A phishing site does not imply the box was rootkitted...
    | 3. Phishing botnets that targeted Washington Mutual are by no means the
    | sum total of phishing sites...
    | 4. Phishing sites are not the same as botnet nodes. No, really — this is
    | the biggest problem with the obvious assumptions here.
    `----

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=296

    Is there some kind of an anti-Linux jihad (as PJ caleld it)? Where does all
    that FUD suddenly come from and why?

    Related:

    Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | the BBC reports.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

    FBI to Notify Microsoft Windows Users Who Were Victims of Botnets

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Department of Justice and FBI have announced the results of
    | an ongoing cyber crime initiative to disrupt and dismantle
    | “botherders” and elevate the public’s cyber security
    | awareness of botnets.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...ictims-botnets

    Are we being DOS attacked by a Microsoft employee?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now I find it funny that a person that lives about 5 minutes from Redmond
    | which is the headquarters of Microsoft is DOS attacking us and I don't
    | believe that this is a coincidence.
    `----

    http://ajaxwidgets.com/Blogs/thomas/...tacked_by_a.bb

  2. Re: [News] Up to 50 Million Microsoft Windows PCs OWN3D by Just ONE Zombie Network

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Gathering 'Storm' Superworm Poses Grave Threat to PC Nets
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Although it's most commonly called a worm, Storm is really more: a worm,
    > | a Trojan horse and a bot all rolled into one. It's also the most
    > | successful example we have of a new breed of worm, and I've seen
    > | estimates that between 1 million and 50 million computers have been
    > | infected worldwide.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...atters/2007/10

    securitymatters_1004

    > The end of Windows, or a security expert gives up
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | And then go and warn others to do the same. Windows is defeated - its
    > | days are over. It carries the worm inside. So whatever will happen next:
    > | RIP, Windows.
    > `----
    >
    > http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=456
    >
    > Here is a response to that latest Linux FUD
    >
    > Linux phishing botnet statistics can be deceptive
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | There are some problems with such assumptions based on that statement,
    > | however:
    > |
    > | 1. Each phishing site does not necessarily imply an individual
    > | machine... 2. A phishing site does not imply the box was
    > | rootkitted... 3. Phishing botnets that targeted Washington Mutual are
    > | by no means the
    > | sum total of phishing sites...
    > | 4. Phishing sites are not the same as botnet nodes. No, really ? this
    > | is
    > | the biggest problem with the obvious assumptions here.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=296
    >
    > Is there some kind of an anti-Linux jihad (as PJ caleld it)? Where does
    > all that FUD suddenly come from and why?
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > | 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
    > | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > | the BBC reports.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

    A conservative estimate is 20% of all windopws PCs are
    infected with botnets and spyware.
    The cleanup cost is billions of man hours which the world
    does not have to donate to micoshaft for free for the
    toxic mess they have created.
    In my opinion, it is high time Micoshaft was levied a
    tax to give to open source developers to help
    punters move to more secure open source platforms.

    It is a political necessity to act now than wait
    for years as the billions of hours required to fix
    the micoshaft created toxic mess will continue to balloon.

+ Reply to Thread