OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released - Linux

This is a discussion on OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released - Linux ; The final version of OpenSUSE 10.3 is released: http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400 -- |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com...

  1. OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  2. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released

    ____/ ml2mst on Friday 05 October 2007 01:24 : \____

    > The final version of OpenSUSE 10.3 is released:
    >
    > http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400

    Yes, I know. I received an E-mail (watch carefully):

    The openSUSE team proudly announces the availability of openSUSE 10.3, to be
    renamed Enterprise Windows-compatible Linux in the next version.

    We're shipping all the latest open source packages that are available after Mr.
    Ballmer has completed a quick inspection. As highlights, we'd like to point
    out the latest desktops, GNOME 2.20 and KDE 3.5.7 plus KDE 4 preview, our MP3
    support with Microsoft's patent coverage (courtesy of Alcatel-Lucent) via
    gstreamer plug-in by Fluendo, a dual faster boot process (for Vista), heavily
    optimised and improved package management, 1-click install option for
    additional software (patent protection for this idea from Microsoft will last
    for another 4 years), OpenOffice 2.3 (with OOXML support), XEN 3.1 and
    VirtualBox 1.5 (SUSE Linux exclusive thanks to the interop lab and the joint
    efforts with our good friends from Redmond) and, last but not least, our 1 CD
    installation which provides a small but fully loaded Vista trial version. For
    all the news and impressive screenshots, have a look at
    http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400 and have a look at things to come at
    http://microsoft.com/products/vienna .

    It's available now to download at http://software.openSUSE.org, only as a x86
    version (64-bit is impractical, according to our partners at Redmond and PPC
    is only used by rival companies) - from our mirrors and via bittorrent.

    The following ISOs can be downloaded: the 1 CD open source version with an
    add-on CD containing proprietary software, such as WGA, Windows Media Player,
    XPS reader, HD viewer, Silverlight Limited Edition, RealNetworks
    RealPlayer, .NET clone called Mono, and Sun Java Runtime Environment. DVD ISOs
    for all architectures are available and contain the open source version plus
    proprietary add-ons. An installable Live CD will be released in October, and
    the Edu add-on CD [http://en.opensuse.org/Education] will show up in the same
    time frame. However, thanks to our recently-commissioned studies, we are told
    that children prefer Windows.

    As usual, openSUSE 10.3 will be available in European retail channels as a
    boxed product. The Register reports that the price in Britian exceeds 3,000
    pounds (true story). In North America, the box will be available through
    shopNovell [http://shop.novell.com]. Due to production lead times and
    disruption due to the layoffs that Novell is expecting in October 2007 boxes
    will start to show up on shelves and in online shops approximately on Oct
    11th. Pre-orders can be placed here: http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE

    We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Microsoft and the whole openSUSE
    community for tons of protection, coupons, attacking rival Linux distribution
    with FUD, testing, feedback, contributions and over all participation in
    helping to make openSUSE 10.3 an awesome distribution. While risking missing
    out some important contributors, we'd like to spotlight some
    community members (some of whom are paid) for their outstanding work:

    - Ballmer for Producing FUD against rival Linuxes
    - Hilf for relentless 'patent terrorism'
    - Francis for Sneak Peeks [http://news.opensuse.org/?cat=17]
    - Beineri for his Quickies [http://news.opensuse.org/?cat=12]
    - Benji for the 1-click install [http://news.opensuse.org/?p=133]
    - Pascal and sPIN for community help [http://help.opensuse.org/]
    - All the community translators -
    http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Teams
    Our top 3 bug reporters for openSUSE 10.3
    - Andreas Hanke
    - David Binderman
    - Casual J. Programmer

    Have a lot of fun!

    Christoph, Coolo, Michael

    PS:
    Planning or looking for an openSUSE 10.3 launch event? Check here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_10.3...arty_Locations
    -- Michael Löffler, Product Management SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nürnberg - AG
    Nürnberg - HRB 16746 - GF: Markus Rex
    -- To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-announce+unsubscribe@opensuse.org For
    additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-announce+help@opensuse.org

    DISCLAIMER: the original message was modified for reasons of humour --- the
    humour of desperation.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
    Mem: 515500k total, 445704k used, 69796k free, 2528k buffers

  3. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ ml2mst on Friday 05 October 2007 01:24 : \____
    >
    >> The final version of OpenSUSE 10.3 is released:
    >>
    >> http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400

    > Yes, I know. I received an E-mail (watch carefully):
    >

    > The openSUSE team proudly announces the availability of openSUSE 10.3, to be
    > renamed Enterprise Windows-compatible Linux in the next version.
    >
    > We're shipping all the latest open source packages that are available after Mr.
    > Ballmer has completed a quick inspection.

    Oh, uhg, hum, ho, that saids it all, now doesn't it?

    > (SUSE Linux exclusive thanks to the interop lab and the joint
    > efforts with our good friends from Redmond)

    Yep, they're such *good friends* :-D

    > and, last but not least, our 1 CD installation which provides a small but fully loaded Vista trial version. For

    A Deno(nic) version of Vista? Thanks for the memories :-p

    > all the news and impressive screenshots, have a look at
    > http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400 and have a look at things to come at
    > http://microsoft.com/products/vienna .

    Yeeha, I was right, Microsoft Linux is a fact!

    Sorry Roy, I snipped the rest of your message, but I'm convinced I'm
    able to read it on http://www.boycottnovell.com ;-)

    SuSE was my favorite distribution since the late 1990's and was acquired
    by Novell, which gave me the creeps already and now finally Novell is a
    puppet of Microsoft.

    However, let's look forward. SuEMe Linux could be a great distribution,
    including a lot of useful documentation. If you don't want to include
    that documentation, at least include links to
    http://www.boycottnovell.com and http://slated.org

    Power to the People ;-)

    Cheers
    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  4. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released

    > The openSUSE team proudly announces the availability of openSUSE
    > 10.3, to be renamed Enterprise Windows-compatible Linux in the next
    > version.

    I see you're branching out into Ghost's epic-spoof territory

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    04:40:14 up 57 days, 3:35, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.02

  5. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 05 October 2007 04:42 : \____

    >> The openSUSE team proudly announces the availability of openSUSE
    >> 10.3, to be renamed Enterprise Windows-compatible Linux in the next
    >> version.

    > I see you're branching out into Ghost's epic-spoof territory

    Ghost has a complicated mind and vast amounts of knowledge (or Google queries).
    Either way, I took this USENET post, modified it further and posted it to
    you-know-where...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"
    Cpu(s): 27.5%us, 4.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 61.4%id, 4.9%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released

    KUTLOZE SCHEEFGEPOEPTE wrote:
    > "ml2mst" schreef...
    >
    >> Oh, uhg, hum, ho, that saids it all, now doesn't it?

    > humiliation nr. 1 humiliation nr. 2 humiliation nr. 3
    > humiliation nr. 4 humiliation nr. 5

    Clogwog, we already know it is you. Here is something less humiliating:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 (Final) Released