Now Microsoft wants its users to debug the .Net framework... - Linux

This is a discussion on Now Microsoft wants its users to debug the .Net framework... - Linux ; Microsoft announced that it will be releasing its source code for the .Net libraries. But, don't get too excited at Microsoft's new SHARED source initiative. According to CNET (at http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790863-7.html ), "The source code will be released under Microsoft's Reference ...

  1. Now Microsoft wants its users to debug the .Net framework...

    Microsoft announced that it will be releasing its source code for the .Net
    libraries. But, don't get too excited at Microsoft's new SHARED source
    initiative.

    According to CNET (at http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790863-7.html), "The
    source code will be released under Microsoft's Reference License. This means
    that you can only use the source as a reference for debugging, maintaining
    or enhancing your applications. You cannot modify or distribute the code for
    any purpose. This happens to be the most restricted shared-source license
    that Microsoft has. This announcement confirms that .Net is going to be
    shared source, not to be confused with open source."

    So, it seems that Microsoft is trying to *look* like an open company while
    keeping the shackles firmly around the ankles of its users.

    It's quite ingenious actually. There have been a large number of issues
    with .Net (www.kbalertz.com is a good place to start your search if you want
    to see just how many Microsoft has reported). And, what better way to fix
    those than to basically recruit everyone else to debug your framework.

    It's like open source....only without the open part. Microsoft calles it
    "shared source". Which I think is deceptive. If I told you that I was
    going to "share" my ice cream with you, would you think that I was going to
    give some of my ice cream for you to eat (or do with as you please) or would
    you think that I was merely going to allow you to look at my ice cream while
    I ate my fill?

    "Shared source" indeed.

    jim

  2. Re: Now Microsoft wants its users to debug the .Net framework...

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:38:42 -0400, jim wrote:

    > So, it seems that Microsoft is trying to *look* like an open company while
    > keeping the shackles firmly around the ankles of its users.
    >
    > jim

    We finally switched to Linux full time this year for home use, because we
    felt Linux is ready; not because of what Microsoft did or didn't do.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  3. Re: Now Microsoft wants its users to debug the .Net framework...

    ____/ jim on Thursday 04 October 2007 23:38 : \____

    > Microsoft announced that it will be releasing its source code for the .Net
    > libraries. But, don't get too excited at Microsoft's new SHARED source
    > initiative.
    >
    > According to CNET (at http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790863-7.html), "The
    > source code will be released under Microsoft's Reference License. This means
    > that you can only use the source as a reference for debugging, maintaining
    > or enhancing your applications. You cannot modify or distribute the code for
    > any purpose. This happens to be the most restricted shared-source license
    > that Microsoft has. This announcement confirms that .Net is going to be
    > shared source, not to be confused with open source."
    >
    > So, it seems that Microsoft is trying to *look* like an open company while
    > keeping the shackles firmly around the ankles of its users.
    >
    > It's quite ingenious actually. There have been a large number of issues
    > with .Net (www.kbalertz.com is a good place to start your search if you want
    > to see just how many Microsoft has reported). And, what better way to fix
    > those than to basically recruit everyone else to debug your framework.
    >
    > It's like open source....only without the open part. Microsoft calles it
    > "shared source". Which I think is deceptive. If I told you that I was
    > going to "share" my ice cream with you, would you think that I was going to
    > give some of my ice cream for you to eat (or do with as you please) or would
    > you think that I was merely going to allow you to look at my ice cream while
    > I ate my fill?
    >
    > "Shared source" indeed.

    Shared workload morelike.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
    Mem: 515500k total, 445704k used, 69796k free, 2528k buffers

  4. Re: Now Microsoft wants its users to debug the .Net framework...

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ jim on Thursday 04 October 2007 23:38 : \____
    >
    >> Microsoft announced that it will be releasing its source code for the
    >> .Net
    >> libraries. But, don't get too excited at Microsoft's new SHARED source
    >> initiative.
    >>
    >> According to CNET (at http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790863-7.html),
    >> "The source code will be released under Microsoft's Reference License.
    >> This means that you can only use the source as a reference for debugging,
    >> maintaining or enhancing your applications. You cannot modify or
    >> distribute the code for any purpose. This happens to be the most
    >> restricted shared-source license that Microsoft has. This announcement
    >> confirms that .Net is going to be shared source, not to be confused with
    >> open source."
    >>
    >> So, it seems that Microsoft is trying to *look* like an open company
    >> while keeping the shackles firmly around the ankles of its users.
    >>
    >> It's quite ingenious actually. There have been a large number of issues
    >> with .Net (www.kbalertz.com is a good place to start your search if you
    >> want
    >> to see just how many Microsoft has reported). And, what better way to
    >> fix those than to basically recruit everyone else to debug your
    >> framework.
    >>
    >> It's like open source....only without the open part. Microsoft calles it
    >> "shared source". Which I think is deceptive. If I told you that I was
    >> going to "share" my ice cream with you, would you think that I was going
    >> to give some of my ice cream for you to eat (or do with as you please) or
    >> would you think that I was merely going to allow you to look at my ice
    >> cream while I ate my fill?
    >>
    >> "Shared source" indeed.

    > Shared workload morelike.

    or equally forced free labour. As well as that,
    companies are going to insist that
    products are debugged and pay for it themselves (!)
    and pay for licenses - leaves micoshaft laughing all the way to the bank.

+ Reply to Thread