[News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux? - Linux ; If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel.... ,----[ Quote ] | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn’t even stand a chance | on the desktop market. `---- http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72 Recent: Wozniak hates Open Sauce ,----[ Quote ...

  1. [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    `----

    http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72

    Recent:

    Wozniak hates Open Sauce

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
    | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
    | people.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...tes-open-sauce

  2. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a
    > chance
    > | on the desktop market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72

    So... what if it was? Exactly what benefits would MacOS get from a linux
    kernel compared to the current BSD kernel?

    Answer: None.

    About as relevant and intriguing as the age old question of "What if
    concrete were brown - How would that change the world?"

  3. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer

    wrote
    on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:56:34 -0400
    <4705397f$0$26455$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a
    >> chance
    >> | on the desktop market.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
    >>

    > So... what if it was? Exactly what benefits would MacOS get from a linux
    > kernel compared to the current BSD kernel?
    >
    > Answer: None.
    >

    > About as relevant and intriguing as the age old question of "What if
    > concrete were brown - How would that change the world?"

    One might also phrase the related question:

    "If Windows had a Linux kernel".

    A partial answer is at http://www.winehq.org/ .

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

  4. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:39:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn’t even stand a
    > chance | on the desktop market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who
    > want | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those
    > sort of | people.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...wozniak-hates-

    open-sauce

    I think there may be some misunderstandings going on. It seems Woz
    doesn't like the "everything has to be free ($0) mentality", not the
    freedom of the code. He used to pass out his code.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Barb Dwyer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Would it make a difference? AFAIK the primary problem with Windows is
    > security. But I don't believe that the Windows kernel is the weak-link in
    > the security model.

    I agree. It does have holes in it, though. (As does the Linux kernel.)

    > It's the apps that people typically run as Administrator
    > that causes the problem. You could probably stick any sort of kernel you
    > wanted underneath the user apps but as long as people continue to visit porn
    > sites using IE while logged in as Administrator then the security problem is
    > going to remain.

    Windows still doesn't have quite the compartmentalization of function
    that UNIX does. Too much emphasis on "integrated solutions" and "easy
    access to OS features."

    What I really like about Linux is how you can snap one part out of a
    system and replace it with another.

    As I'm learning recently, even the boot process of Linux is amazingly
    customizable.

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >Wozniak hates Open Sauce

    "Open Sauce"? Did Ken Davis release his recipe under the GPL?

    8)

  7. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    Verily I say unto thee, that AHappyCamper spake thusly:

    > If Windows used the Linux Kernel, it wouldn't be 'Windows'!
    >
    > Windows has a 'system' but, no kernel. Isn't that really the
    > problem?

    Erm ... what about kernel32.dll?

    As for whether the Windows kernel has a particular problem, I couldn't
    say, but the overall system does seem to have "issues". Certainly
    Windows lacks a -->proper<-- multi-user environment, for which the
    kernel is at least partly responsible, and this tends to affect things
    like security.

    > Applications can be input to the registry in an auto-execute form,
    > that most users have no idea how to eliminate.

    The Registry is simply a rather inelegant and monolithic configuration
    file in a proprietary binary format. It can be edited, but the location
    and nature of much of the secrets it holds tends to be mystifying, and
    thus not conducive to simple administration. Additionally, repairing
    said configuration, in the surprisingly likely event that it becomes
    damaged, is a somewhat non-trivial task, particularly outwith the
    comfort of the Windows shell.

    The Windows Registry can also be excruciatingly cryptic at times,
    employing the use of keys and data with outrageously long and
    meaningless names. On occasion, this practice seems to be a deliberate
    attempt to hide information (most notably - I recall something to do
    with the currently stored DVD region code). The problem is that relying
    on this kind of security through obscurity is largely ineffective
    against those determined enough to discover the truth, but sufficiently
    difficult to pose a security problem for less adept (i.e. normal) users
    (Malware writers can easily hide information in the Registry).

    In particular relevance to the point at hand; the fact is that there are
    actually several locations within the registry that hold information
    regarding programs and services which are started at boot-time, and
    hunting down and removing any offending rogue entries (e.g. browser
    hijackers, etc.) is a task that is difficult to the point of requiring
    third-party utilities, and even /they/ are not always successful.

    *nix also has the ability to launch applications at boot-time, using SYS
    V Init (although other methods look set to eventually replace this, such
    as Ubuntu's "Upstart"). However, compared to the incomprehensible
    Windows Registry, initscripts are relatively simple and transparent
    plain text files, that are sometimes commented, usually documented, and
    trivial to enable or disable using the chkconfig tool (or GUIs like
    serviceconf).

    In all the years I've used GNU/Linux, I've never known any program or
    service to be launched without my explicit consent, on any Linux machine
    I've ever owned. I've never encountered any Linux virus, rootkit, or any
    other form of Malware on those systems either. They /are/ out there,
    allegedly, but I've yet to see one, or even /hear/ of a personal encounter.

    > Major trouble is IE.

    Indeed, and for many reasons and in many ways - ActiveX and broken
    standards being just two.

    > The fact that IE has absolute access to the registry is a major
    > problem, evidenced in a few posts close by to this one, today.
    >
    > Repeated here:
    >
    >> Media Player Exploits: New Vectors, New Threats

    Quite correct; IE does play a major role in Windows security problems. A
    properly implemented security model would help, starting with an
    improved kernel, but the the whole Windows system is so inherently
    dependant on lax security, that such a step would essentially break the
    entire operating system and all applications. A drop-in replacement
    would need to be equally lax in order to not disrupt the current
    methodology, which would sort of defeat the purpose.

    The only solution is a complete rewrite which, if you recall, has
    already been attempted at least twice, and we've all seen the results of
    /that/ futile exercise.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    15:30:47 up 57 days, 14:25, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.03, 0.01

  8. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Wozniak hates Open Sauce

    > "Open Sauce"? Did Ken Davis release his recipe under the GPL?
    >
    > 8)

    Dunno about "Open Sauce", but have you tried ...

    "Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce"

    http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdaui.htm

    .... Reputedly the hottest sauce on planet earth?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    15:37:47 up 57 days, 14:32, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.20, 0.09

  9. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer wrote on Fri,
    > 5 Oct 2007 10:51:39 -0400
    > <47064387$0$26479$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >> "AHappyCamper" <@thelandfill.com> wrote in message
    >>> Barb Dwyer wrote:

    >>> Applications can be input to the registry in an auto-execute
    >>> form, that most users have no idea how to eliminate. Major
    >>> trouble is IE.

    >> And there are plenty of places to "hide" the startup of various
    >> linux apps that most users will have no idea how to eliminate.

    Well thanks to ACLs (or in the case of SELinux, MACs - Mandatory Access
    Control lists), simply bunging arbitrary executable files in arbitrary
    locations will not be very useful to the hacker, since those files will
    not execute, however much one would like them to. Can't say the same
    about Windows. Indeed, I recall several occasions where my Windows
    system was overrun by Spyware, including all kinds of nasties in the
    "impenetrable" Registry (according to Spybot and Adaware). Can't say the
    same about Linux.

    Oh well, nice try though.

    >> And your point is?

    ActiveX.

    > IE is also a multilayered affair (with IE4's installation system a
    > spectacular example thereof, although part of that might be
    > convenience/laziness on the part of Microsoft back then).
    >
    > Presumably, in gross terms, IE consists of:
    >
    > - an executable stub
    > - various accessor/helper libraries (WinInet, WinHTTP, the HTML
    > rendering engine proper).
    > - registry entries for those libraries.

    And ActiveX.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    19:02:57 up 57 days, 17:57, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.08

  10. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 05 October 2007 15:38 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Wozniak hates Open Sauce

    >> "Open Sauce"? Did Ken Davis release his recipe under the GPL?
    >>
    >> 8)

    > Dunno about "Open Sauce", but have you tried ...
    >
    > "Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce"
    >
    > http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdaui.htm
    >
    > ... Reputedly the hottest sauce on planet earth?

    INQ Speak. I bet that vole is pretty delicious with open sauce on top.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No Makefile, no business

  11. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    [H]omer wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Wozniak hates Open Sauce

    >> "Open Sauce"? Did Ken Davis release his recipe under the GPL?
    >>
    >> 8)

    >Dunno about "Open Sauce", but have you tried ...
    >
    > "Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce"
    >
    >http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdaui.htm
    >
    >... Reputedly the hottest sauce on planet earth?

    No way, dog. I like hot stuff, but it doesn't take much Habanero to
    put most anyone in extreme pain.

  12. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:05:04 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer wrote on Fri,
    >> 5 Oct 2007 10:51:39 -0400
    >> <47064387$0$26479$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>> "AHappyCamper" <@thelandfill.com> wrote in message

    >>> And there are plenty of places to "hide" the startup of various
    >>> linux apps that most users will have no idea how to eliminate.

    > Well thanks to ACLs (or in the case of SELinux, MACs - Mandatory Access
    > Control lists), simply bunging arbitrary executable files in arbitrary
    > locations will not be very useful to the hacker, since those files will
    > not execute, however much one would like them to. Can't say the same
    > about Windows. Indeed, I recall several occasions where my Windows
    > system was overrun by Spyware, including all kinds of nasties in the
    > "impenetrable" Registry (according to Spybot and Adaware). Can't say the
    > same about Linux.
    >
    > Oh well, nice try though.
    >
    >>> And your point is?

    > ActiveX.
    >
    >> IE is also a multilayered affair (with IE4's installation system a
    >> spectacular example thereof, although part of that might be
    >> convenience/laziness on the part of Microsoft back then).
    >>
    >> Presumably, in gross terms, IE consists of:
    >>
    >> - an executable stub
    >> - various accessor/helper libraries (WinInet, WinHTTP, the HTML
    >> rendering engine proper).
    >> - registry entries for those libraries.

    > And ActiveX.

    ActiveX is a funny animal; apparently it's basically
    warmed-over OLE, with some permissions protections added
    for spice. IE, presumably, has a simple launcher, which
    can launch ActiveX components. (I'm assuming these
    are some variant of DLL or Intel/x86 PE EXE.)

    I know just enough COM to be dangerous, but everything's
    based on an interface class, which among other things can
    query its capabilities. Of course once that's done,
    the control can do pretty much anything it wants.

    I doubt they've sandboxed it all that well even now.

    http://www.halcyon.com/mclain/ActiveX/ :-), though the
    "Exploder" no longer is functional, apparently.

    For its part Java sandboxes everything, through its JVM.
    Java can't help it, in fact; there's no native code in
    a Java .class file AFAIK (and .jar files are simply .zip
    archives with a little extra META-INF textually-readable
    metadata), and the JVM will interpret it until it decides
    to invoke its JIT. A bit safer, and far more portable
    than ActiveX.

    To be sure, sandboxing is one thing, but Java went one
    step further and implemented a securityaccess class.
    Everything in the "walls" of the sandbox goes through this
    class, and this class cannot be modified from within the
    sandbox (it's controlled by the JVM and/or the browser).

    99% of the problem, gone -- and the other 1% is probably
    already patched by now. At least, one hopes so.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  13. Re: What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    On Oct 4, 3:39 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a chance
    > | on the desktop market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
    >
    > Recent:
    >
    > Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
    > | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
    > | people.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...wozniak-hates-...

    Simple answer:

    If OSX were built upon the Linux kernel, it wouldn't work correctly
    and be a total flop.
    Just like Linux is.................

  14. Re: What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    In article <1191625170.393207.73330@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    alan.yunick@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 4, 3:39 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    > >
    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a
    > > | chance
    > > | on the desktop market.
    > > `----

    > Simple answer:
    >
    > If OSX were built upon the Linux kernel, it wouldn't work correctly
    > and be a total flop.
    > Just like Linux is.................

    Yep.

    But, as long as we're making ridiculous assertions: If Windows was
    built upon the OS X kernel, Linux wouldn't stand a chance! If OS/2 was
    built upon the BeOS kernel, Mac OS 9 wouldn't stand a chance! If Coke
    tasted more like Sprite, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale wouldn't stand a chance!

    One makes about as much sense as the others.

    Bob Campbell

  15. Re: What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    ____/ Bob Campbell on Saturday 06 October 2007 03:18 : \____

    > In article <1191625170.393207.73330@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    > alan.yunick@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 4, 3:39 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> > If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >> >
    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> > `----

    >> Simple answer:
    >>
    >> If OSX were built upon the Linux kernel, it wouldn't work correctly
    >> and be a total flop.
    >> Just like Linux is.................

    > Yep.
    >
    > But, as long as we're making ridiculous assertions: If Windows was
    > built upon the OS X kernel, Linux wouldn't stand a chance! If OS/2 was
    > built upon the BeOS kernel, Mac OS 9 wouldn't stand a chance! If Coke
    > tasted more like Sprite, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale wouldn't stand a chance!
    >
    > One makes about as much sense as the others.
    >
    > Bob Campbell

    It's Gary Stewart (flatfish) crossposting again for attention. Don't feed that
    scum.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Reclaim your workstation - install GNU/Linux today
    Tasks: 165 total, 1 running, 163 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  16. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    On 2007-10-04, Rick wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:39:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a
    >> chance | on the desktop market.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
    >>

    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Wozniak hates Open Sauce
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who
    >> want | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those
    >> sort of | people.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...wozniak-hates-

    > open-sauce
    >

    > I think there may be some misunderstandings going on. It seems Woz
    > doesn't like the "everything has to be free ($0) mentality", not the
    > freedom of the code. He used to pass out his code.

    When you have an entrenched monopoly, that can continually decide
    to add yet something else to the core OS install, there really isn't any
    other option. For all practical purposes, Microsoft puts everyone else in
    the position of "competing against something that's free".

    This is more relevant to the question of whether or not Linux
    users should be expected to pay for Motif or OpenGL than issues of
    politics or philosophy.

    --
    Oracle... can't live with it... |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  17. Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

    On 2007-10-04, Barb Dwyer wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a
    >> chance
    >> | on the desktop market.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
    >>

    > So... what if it was? Exactly what benefits would MacOS get from a linux
    > kernel compared to the current BSD kernel?
    >
    > Answer: None.

    The standard answer to "why Linux over BSD" would be 3rd party
    device driver support of course. This is one key reason that my mac mini
    runs Ubuntu.

    I don't want to use that crappy remote that comes included.

    > About as relevant and intriguing as the age old question of "What if
    > concrete were brown - How would that change the world?"

    Not really.

    If MacOSX and Linux shared the same kernel they could take
    advantage of a larger combined market share for 3rd party support.
    Although this would probably end up being much more relevant for
    Apple's pizzabox servers.

    --
    Oracle... can't live with it... |||
    / | \