WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers - Linux

This is a discussion on WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers - Linux ; http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top...

  1. WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

  2. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, sayresearchers

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:29:25 +0200, Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul wrote:

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    "We see a lot of Linux machines used in phishing," said Alfred Huger, vice
    president for Symantec Security Response. "We see them as part of the
    command and control networks for botnets, but we rarely see them be the
    actual bots. Botnets are almost uniformly Windows-based."

  3. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:29:25 +0200, Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    > "We see a lot of Linux machines used in phishing," said Alfred Huger, vice
    > president for Symantec Security Response. "We see them as part of the
    > command and control networks for botnets, but we rarely see them be the
    > actual bots. Botnets are almost uniformly Windows-based."

    "The VAST MAJORITY of the threats we saw were rootkitted Linux boxes, which
    was rather startling. We expected Microsoft boxes," he said.

    Although Linux has long been considered more secure than Windows, MANY of
    the programs that run on top of Linux have KNOWN SECURITY VULNERABILITIES,
    and if an attacker were to exploit an unpatched bug on a misconfigured
    system, he could SEIZE CONTROL of the machine. "

  4. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer Barb Dwyer wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:29:25 +0200, Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/action

    article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=security&articleId=9040838&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_top

    >> "We see a lot of Linux machines used in phishing," said Alfred Huger,
    >> vice president for Symantec Security Response. "We see them as part of
    >> the command and control networks for botnets, but we rarely see them be
    >> the actual bots. Botnets are almost uniformly Windows-based."

    > "The VAST MAJORITY of the threats we saw were rootkitted Linux boxes,
    > which was rather startling. We expected Microsoft boxes," he said.

    Probably because Windopws PCs are prone to crashing
    and self induced re-infection.

    BWAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!!! !!

  5. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    From: "Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say
    researchers
    Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:29:25 +0200

    == Clogwog

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  6. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:29:25 +0200, Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    > "We see a lot of Linux machines used in phishing," said Alfred Huger, vice
    > president for Symantec Security Response. "We see them as part of the
    > command and control networks for botnets, but we rarely see them be the
    > actual bots. Botnets are almost uniformly Windows-based."

    Personally I use Qemu to run Windows. I guess this is just another way
    for Linux to run Windows.

  7. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    "ml2mst" schreef in bericht
    > Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul schreef:
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    > From: "Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul"
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > Subject: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say
    > researchers
    > Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:29:25 +0200
    >
    > == Clogwog

    Actually Robert McMillan spoke, you ****witted nong!

  8. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    ml2mst wrote:

    >== Clogwog

    Yeah, I don't know why anyone even bothers opening and reading a post
    from a ridiculous nym like "Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul".

  9. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 07:52:35 -0500
    :
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >>== Clogwog

    > Yeah, I don't know why anyone even bothers opening and reading a post
    > from a ridiculous nym like "Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul".

    Well, I know I'm easily amused. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
    elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

  10. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    "chrisv" schreef in bericht
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >>== Clogwog

    > Yeah, I don't know why anyone even bothers opening and reading a post
    > from a ridiculous nym like "Dingeman den Sluitspierbeul".

    You did!
    lol !

  11. Re: WARNING!!!: Rootkitted penguin-based boxes on the rise, say researchers

    In article <4706ad5e$0$964$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.org>,
    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > article is double-speak. For one from what I have heard, eBay is a 100%
    > Windows shop. Here, it states that the company is not releasing the

    Nope. About 50/50 Windows/Linux.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread