Linux 2.4.37-rc2 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Linux 2.4.37-rc2 - Kernel ; I've just released Linux 2.4.37-rc2. Most of the patches here are to get in sync with the fixes in 2.4.36.9. A few more SATA controller PCI IDs have been brought from 2.6 after some machines were found to have theirs ...

  1. Linux 2.4.37-rc2

    I've just released Linux 2.4.37-rc2.

    Most of the patches here are to get in sync with the fixes in 2.4.36.9.
    A few more SATA controller PCI IDs have been brought from 2.6 after
    some machines were found to have theirs undetected.

    A few Geode-specific drivers have finally been backported because a
    few users asked where to find the ones I was using in my own kernels,
    so I figured that it made sense to merge them. Those drivers are for
    the watchdog timer, the random number generator and the I2C controller.
    Nothing outstanding, but still pretty useful in embedded systems. The
    rest is mostly doc updates.

    Everything builds fine and runs without trouble, and I have nothing
    left in the pipe, so it is very likely that this version will become
    -final in a few weeks if no new problem arises. I'm pretty confident
    in fact, since I've been running 37-rc on some production systems for
    some time now ;-)

    Once 2.4.37 is out, I might issue 1 or maybe 2 more 2.4.36 releases if
    major issues are discovered, but not more ; differences between 2.4.36
    and 2.4.37 are pretty dim, so there's no likely reason for a regression,
    and certainly no excuse for not giving it a try now.

    Also, now that Adrian has announced long term support on 2.6.27, next
    year's goal will be to help 2.4 users migrate to 2.6.27, and try to
    identify remaining obstacles. Indeed, if 2.6.27 follows the same trend
    as 2.6.16, it's possible that it reaches the same reliability as 2.4
    one year from now.

    For the time being, please test 2.4.37-rc2, especially if you're planning
    to upgrade some machines to SATA, in case your controller does not work.

    The patch and changelog will appear soon at the following locations:
    ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/
    ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...2.4.37-rc2.bz2
    ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...tch-2.4.37.log

    Git repository:
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wtarreau/linux-2.4.git
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/...linux-2.4.git/

    Git repository through the gitweb interface:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne.../linux-2.4.git

    Regards,
    Willy
    --

    Summary of changes from v2.4.37-rc1 to v2.4.37-rc2

    Andy Gospodarek (1):
    bonding: fix panic when taking bond interface down before removing module

    Arjan van de Ven (1):
    security: avoid calling a NULL function pointer in drivers/video/tvaudio.c

    Ayaz Abdulla (1):
    forcedeth: fix checksum flag

    David Miller (1):
    net: Fix recursive descent in __scm_destroy().

    Eric Sandeen (1):
    ext: Avoid printk floods in the face of directory

    Eric Sesterhenn (1):
    hfsplus: fix Buffer overflow with a corrupted image

    Erik Inge Bolsø (1):
    doc: mention chain-compiling for really old gccs

    Eugene Teo (2):
    CVE-2008-3275 Linux kernel local filesystem DoS
    Remove suid/sgid bits on truncate() (CVE-2008-4210)

    Gilles Espinasse (1):
    tcp: Clear probes_out more aggressively in tcp_ack().

    Ilpo Järvinen (1):
    netfilter: snmp nat leaks memory in case of failure

    Jean Delvare (2):
    i2c: The i2c mailing list is moving
    i2c: Update comment of I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_*_I2C_BLOCK

    Jouke Witteveen (1):
    sanitise mii.h for userspace

    Marcel Sebek (1):
    backport vlan device unregister fix

    Willy Tarreau (8):
    doc: fix examples and add suggestions about depmod
    ata_piix: get more PCI IDs in sync with 2.6 (ICH9/ICH10)
    i386: add configuration option for AMD Geode GX/LX
    i2c: add support for Geode Companion CS5535/5536 to scx200_acb
    i386: add support for AMD Geode MFGPT timers
    wdt: add support for AMD Geode GX/LX watchdog
    char: add support for AMD Geode LX hardware RNG
    Change VERSION to 2.4.37-rc2

    Yasuyuki KOZAKAI (1):
    netfilter: ip6t_{hbh,dst}: Rejects not-strict mode on rule insertion

  2. Re: Linux 2.4.37-rc2

    Willy Tarreau wrote:

    > The patch and changelog will appear soon at the following locations:
    > ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/
    > ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...2.4.37-rc2.bz2
    > ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...tch-2.4.37.log

    You probably want to drop the .all. infix here; it gives you round-robin
    across all the kernel.org servers, instead of using geodns to get to the
    closest one.

    -hpa

  3. Re: Linux 2.4.37-rc2

    Hi Peter,

    On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 09:14:56PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > >
    > > The patch and changelog will appear soon at the following locations:
    > > ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/
    > > ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...2.4.37-rc2.bz2
    > > ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...tch-2.4.37.log
    > >

    > You probably want to drop the .all. infix here; it gives you round-robin
    > across all the kernel.org servers, instead of using geodns to get to the
    > closest one.

    Guess what ? I was precisely reading kernel.org home page announcing GeoDNS :-)
    I've updated my release scripts accordingly.

    Thanks!
    Willy