On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> I think the main reason is that we have per-node vmstats so the cpuset
> extention is relatively easy. Whereas we do not currently maintain
> vmstats on a cgroup level - although I imagine that could be remedied.

That's correct, the ZVC values from each node assigned to a particular
cpuset is used to determine the dirty ratios. We don't currently have the
infrastructure to do that with any other cgroup.

So extracting this out to a separate cgroup is fine, but it's still only
applicable to cpusets at this time. Let me know what the prerequisites
are for -mm inclusion.