ext2/3 vs. kingston 32G SD card - Kernel

This is a discussion on ext2/3 vs. kingston 32G SD card - Kernel ; Hi! I got 32GB kingston SD card, and am using it with ext2 for storing git trees etc. Unfortunately, every time I run fsck, I get rather nasty corruption. I switched it to ext3 now, but I believe I have ...

  1. ext2/3 vs. kingston 32G SD card

    Hi!

    I got 32GB kingston SD card, and am using it with ext2 for storing git
    trees etc.

    Unfortunately, every time I run fsck, I get rather nasty corruption.
    I switched it to ext3 now, but I believe I have seen corruption even
    on volume marked clean, which should be impossible from user error.

    If I suspect wrong block device, what are useful tests to run there?

    Or maybe I should do some test on filesystem level? (So far I try
    compiling kernels, but that does not seem to provoke the corruption.)

    Pavel
    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html

  2. Re: ext2/3 vs. kingston 32G SD card

    On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > If I suspect wrong block device, what are useful tests to run there?

    Tools like xdd allow to write certain data patterns to a block device
    and to verify the written data.

    Bart.

  3. Re: ext2/3 vs. kingston 32G SD card

    On Tue, 4 November 2008 12:02:25 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > I got 32GB kingston SD card, and am using it with ext2 for storing git
    > trees etc.
    >
    > Unfortunately, every time I run fsck, I get rather nasty corruption.
    > I switched it to ext3 now, but I believe I have seen corruption even
    > on volume marked clean, which should be impossible from user error.
    >
    > If I suspect wrong block device, what are useful tests to run there?

    Not likely in your case, but a number of counterfeited devices are on
    the market. They contain a much smaller chip inside than is advertised
    plus some logic to return 0x00 when reading from non-existent memory.

    To test for this, simply write 0xff to the complete device and read it
    back. 'hd' is useful, as it compressed the output into four lines for a
    good device and a bit more when you bought crap.

    Jörn

    --
    Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint,
    mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist.

  4. Re: ext2/3 vs. kingston 32G SD card

    > On Tue, 4 November 2008 12:02:25 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > >
    > > I got 32GB kingston SD card, and am using it with ext2 for storing git
    > > trees etc.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, every time I run fsck, I get rather nasty corruption.
    > > I switched it to ext3 now, but I believe I have seen corruption even
    > > on volume marked clean, which should be impossible from user error.
    > >
    > > If I suspect wrong block device, what are useful tests to run there?

    > Not likely in your case, but a number of counterfeited devices are on
    > the market. They contain a much smaller chip inside than is advertised
    > plus some logic to return 0x00 when reading from non-existent memory.
    >
    > To test for this, simply write 0xff to the complete device and read it
    > back. 'hd' is useful, as it compressed the output into four lines for a
    > good device and a bit more when you bought crap.

    Ok, I switched to ext3 and the card seems to behave now. It seems to
    hold the data, so it is probably not fake :-).